Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolf's TL-1A

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Here ya go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy

Also stop yer onions from falling out of the Bunnings sanger and disrupting the OH&S policy.

cheers, Mark.
    Lol, Tomato Ketchup, got it!

I see we lost some people in the Jargon :-)

I suggest drilling decent sized pilot holes as the epoxy won't have as much give as wood, and is liable to split if you let it get too hard before drilling and putting some screws in. Don't drill the holes too short.

I suggest doing that (with some grease or wax on the screws) before the epoxy fully hardens but is solid enough to retain its shape.
    I am going for this option, with the exception of drilling the holes before the epoxy cures. I first want to tidy everything up to get an accurate measurement for the holes. I don't think the epoxy will crack with the use off pilot holes, because the screws are pretty small. But we'll see what happens.

@ JimC
    The most favoured option seems to be to put self tapping screws into uncured epoxy. That's a pain for us in guitars since we want screws to be removable.
    That's why I did not want to put in screws and holes pre cure. Will let you know how I go. Ps. I use surfboard building resin. Have always proven pretty hard, yet flexible.

@King Casey
    Here ya go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy

Also stop yer onions from falling out of the Bunnings sanger and disrupting the OH&S policy.
    Hahaha

My thoughts (whilst never actually having tried it) would be along the lines of: I'd drill the holes, wax the screws, drive the screws in 90% of the way then remove them again and wait until the epoxy has fully cured before fitting the pickup rings.

Thank you for all suggestions, another obstacle out of the way.
    As you can see in the picture (the white curl), the Expoy with filler formed a nice plastic like substance. Screw size 2.4mm, Pilot drill used 2mm. I tapped the screws in nice and slow without a problem. I must say, I do like wood better to screw into, but this was so much easier and is strong enough for the pickup to hold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191203_130819_resized_20191203_015506429.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	32910

5. Liked by: JimC

What's do you reckon that says written in Chinese in the bottom of the route????

...maybe we don't want to know
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hahaha thought about that too
    Maybe it is just a graffiti tag, we'll never know

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    What's do you reckon that says written in Chinese in the bottom of the route????
    According to my Chinese colleague, it says 'single'.

9. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    As you can see in the picture (the white curl), the Expoy with filler formed a nice plastic like substance.
    Good job. The filler choice really is key with this epoxy work, the extent to which it changes the end result is hard to believe until you experience it. I shall try and remember to make some test pieces to experiment with layup and screws next time I mix a batch of epoxy.
    Last edited by JimC; 03-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.

80/20 principle has been tested once again, this time however it seems more like a 90/10...
    Dealing with heavy grainpatterns to fill with clearcoat even though I have used timbermate. Well I guess if you want to have everything spot on, you have to put in the time.

In the meanwhile I have ordered multiple bone nuts. The PB-guitar one was too narrow, the 2nd replacement had a high an a low side (front to back), and the third one too.

Being a lefty(have to turn the nut around) this is a bit of a problem, intonation wise, or am I making to big of a issue out of it?
    How are other Lefty's going about this?

Cheers,
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey, have you been ordering left handed ones? You shouldn’t need to turn them around and it won’t work as you’ve discovered.

https://luthiersupplies.com.au/graph...nut-pq-5000-l0

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast