Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: Rolf's TL-1A

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sunshine coast
    Posts
    56
    Well a bit progress for me again.
    When I was planning this build I thought to do dark red/brown back and sides including comfort cuts.

    But when I got the kit, it came with binding front and back. Since then I was unsure of what to do, I thought to start of with a burst, and if I do not like it, I can always go darker, but this is really cool I must say!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back burst.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	32185  

  2. #42
    Mentor DarkMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Palmyra, WA
    Posts
    808
    I didnít see that coming. Good on you. Have you had some practice attempts?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    107
    Wow that burst looks amazing. What did you use to achieve that finish?

  4. #44
    Mentor JohnH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,041
    That looks fantastic!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)

    Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sunshine coast
    Posts
    56
    Thank you guys,

    @FCD:
    - I filled the body with Ebony timbermate and sanded back
    - Got Crimson stain shots in a wide variety (yellow/amber/crmsn red/brown/black)
    - started with a yellow layer all over and amber as a burst, working the gradient with a wet rag, let it dry.
    - then amber/red mixed and red/brown mixed
    - then brown/black (Let it dry in between layers)

    In between layers I would feather the layers with a damp rag.
    I like not to have to much stain in the water I am using, so you build layer upon layer. This way if the darker colours are to pervasive you can litterally work them back by feathering from in to out with the damp rag.

    @DarkMark: I bought, through ebay, some headstock veneers to give me some idea of how much stain to use etc. but really doing the actual guitar is different and quite easy, given you do not use to much of the stain and build layers.

    P.s. Though using too many layers and too much feathering would I think blend all the colours to one mushy ugly brown

    Just checked the colour with the golden hardware and it actually looks really nice (this was something I was really uncertain about, but the guitar kept telling me to dress her in a burst, so what do you do)

  6. #46
    Nice burst! Good even transitions.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sunshine coast
    Posts
    56
    And the front!
    Well ofcourse there were glue spots!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glue1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	32210
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glue2.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	32211

    I did check for glue spots and removed a couple before starting, but apparently I missed a couple. along the sides and these two spots did not want to take any dye. Took some gum alcohol and a single sided razor to lightly scrape the glue off. Then a light sand and on we went.

    I have to see how she is going to dry, because it seems minor spots are still visible.

    Anyway: The front!

    with or without pickguard...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	32212
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front2.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	32213

  8. #48
    Member ILRGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    349
    Without, of course.

  9. #49
    Definitely without mate.... thatís lookin killer. And with those glue spots by the edges of the veneer, theyíre real buggers. I tried everything but they donít seem to go, so I had to use a solid colour around the edges. Iím sure youíve found a better solution. All the best!

  10. #50
    Looking awesome! Great work.
    Either none or cut a clear pickguard!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •