Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Rolf's TL-1A

Beautiful job

Really nice job and great to see a leftie!!

Nice work Rolf. That finished up great.
    Definitely bonus points for the "feathered" headstock! I wish I could be so adventurous, but I tend to steer towards traditionalist
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Looks really nice. Have no regrets. I'm not normally a fan of gold hardware but on that, it looks just right.

What do you think of the gold foil? A good sounding one is probably my ideal neck pickup for clean sounds.

Dang! I love man
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thanks guys,

I'm with you Sonic, sometimes you'll only know once's you've tried, this was one of 'em.

@Sonic: "A semi scratch is a lot of fun and a great stepping stone to a full scratch, I look forward to seeing what you come up with."
    Well after this one, colour wise something more tame, wood wise something solid, Shape wise… don’t know, the Jazzmaster style got me, but then again, if you are building a semi-scratch, why not design your own! I'll keep my eyes open for a nice piece of timber, we'll see!

@Stan, I see I can look at your builds for inspiration anytime!

@Simon: I've read a lot into the GFS pick up before buying it. Apparently it is not a true goldfoil, it only has the looks. It is an Alnico 5.6k single coil HB size. I love the sounds on this one, it's warm and mellow and I think I play about 80% in the front position now. This says nothing, as I only picked up the electric guitar since this project is finished They also sell it in a Ferrite model, that one is supposed to be a bit sharper, but probably you know way more about it than I do ;-).

No, not a lot. I refinished a battered 1965 Harmony H59 fitted with with three gold foils a few years a go and sold it to a friend. The neck pickup just sounded superb, the middle position OK and the bridge far too sharp and plinky (well it was only a few mm away from the bridge). So I know what they can sound like, but I need to research a bit more into their construction.

It has been a year since I finished the Tele.
    At the time I had a problem with the cavity of the bridge pickup not reaching forward enough. This caused the pickup the sit on an angle with the high E side lower than the low-e side.

At that time I had no router and since it was my first electric guitar, I didn't really know how things would be affected.
    I started playing it less and less because I knew 'something' was not set up properly, it didn't sound good and it basically came down to
    a Mexican standoff between me and my procrastination.

Well,... today I won!

I widened the cavity with a router and polished the guitar in the process. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
    If you are building a Tele,...don't wait a year as I did ;-)

Also, it is never good to start a new project before you finish your previous project, so who knows what will be next

Pictures follow.

Before and after

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12