Hello everyone!

I just got my first kit in the mail a few days ago, it's an SV-7 (they don't offer this model anymore?) with some custom options. Maple fretboard with no inlays, 27" scale, reverse headstock, black pickguard instead of the pearloid white, and no monkey grip. I also ordered some Dimarzio pickups to swap in later on and will maybe upgrade the trem down the road.

Haven't picked a colour yet, still have to sand, fill some nicks, and prime anyway. I'm planning to paint it with Duplicolor acrylic lacquer and finish the neck and fretboard with tru-oil, but I also want to paint the front of the headstock body colour. Should I paint and clear the front first, and then just apply the tru-oil up to the edge of the clear coat?

I also had a question about neck height. As you can see from the last photo, the neck sits about a centimetre above the body. I did a test assembly and had to lift the bridge pretty far off the body for it to play properly. A proper set-up would help I'm sure, but I'd like to get the fretboard closer to the body as well. Would it be as simple as sanding down the back of the neck where it joins?

This is my first build and any input/advice/critique is appreciated!