Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Building our first Bass Guitar

Building our first Bass Guitar

Hello all. Building a bass guitar with my grandson and can't find a wiring diagram that seems to fit the kit we bought. We have a DJZ-4 with what looks like two volume knobs and perhaps a tone knob. I've attached pictures of the front and back of the knob plate as wired. Can anyone please let me know how to proceed with the wiring. Thanks much.

https://guitarelectronics.com/jazz-b...iring-diagram/

this should do do the trick for you Fatman, it’s a typical jazz bass arrangement.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Based on the photos of the DJZ kits and your description above, the standard Jazz bass diagram from Pitbull should be fine. Let me know if there are any issues.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...B-4_2014v2.pdf

Thanks much guys, can I please bother you for two clarifications:
    1. On my prewired unit the bridge ground goes from the neck volume pot vs the tone volume pot in the diagram, but since these are all wired together I'd assume this makes no difference.
    2. On my prewire, the wire from the middle post of the tone pot goes to the middle post of the bridge volume pot and then to the left post of the neck pickup pot. In the wiring diagram it is shown as the middle post of the tone pot to the left post of both the bridge and neck volume pots. Since the hot wire from the bridge pick-up goes to the middle post in the diagram and the prewire to the left post of the bridge pick-up, do I need to move the prewire to the left post? Or do I just put the hot wire from the bridge pick-up on the left post of the pot?

Also as a confirmation, the bridge hot wire is red in the PitBull diagram and on my pick-up, but the drawing says White--I assume this is just errata?

1. Bridge ground wire - doesn't matter where it comes from - just needs to end at the bridge and form a connection (but not a loop) with all pots, the jack and the bridge.
    2. Prewire should be fine - same as cats - many ways to skin a wiring diagram.

Colours of the wires change over time - the diagrams are indicative and I've coloured them to make the wires easier to follow. Otherwise we are playing with lots of grey and black lines that overlap.

Hope that helps.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    1. Bridge ground wire - doesn't matter where it comes from - just needs to end at the bridge and form a connection (but not a loop) with all pots, the jack and the bridge.
    2. Prewire should be fine - same as cats - many ways to skin a wiring diagram.

Colours of the wires change over time - the diagrams are indicative and I've coloured them to make the wires easier to follow. Otherwise we are playing with lots of grey and black lines that overlap.

Hope that helps.

B
    Thanks Brendan. Sorry to be such a pain. so, for connecting the bridge hot wire I should connect that to the unused (left) terminal of the bridge pot and not the already used center pot. Is that correct?

You're not a pain mate - all have been through this stage

I think I understand what you're asking, but to confirm - any chance of a photo?

B

I think I understand what you're asking, but to confirm - any chance of a photo?

B
    I think I uploaded the pix--struggling a bit with the site protocal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	31565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	31566  

B

Brendan

If I am doing the pix upload correctly, here is a closer picture of the volume pots. Hard to see, but the yellow wire goes from the middle post on the tone pot to the middle post on the bridge pick-up pot to the left post on the neck pick-up pot.

Thanks--don't get old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volume pot wiring.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	31569  

Third yellow wire on bridge p[ick-up just a reflection.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast