Thread: Epoxy to glue in the neck?

Epoxy to glue in the neck?

So I'm putting together a HB4 Bass and I will need to glue in the neck. Thoughts on using epoxy resin instead?

I purchased the LUTHIER’S CHOICE SET NECK GLUE, (because it's probably special), but my neck is a bit loose in the pocket of the violin body. Photos below...

I sent an email off to Adam and he suggested that it should be okay to clamp it top-bottom and sideways when gluing. (He offered me to send photos of it clamped if I was still concerned).

My friend build a really big wooden yacht and has a lot of experience gluing wood. He suggested that whilst PVA glue is really good for tight wooden fits, epoxy resin would be superior, especially if there is a slight gap.

I will clamp the sides of the violin body when gluing, but I'm a bit concerned.

Thoughts?

Epoxy is permanent, Titebond (Original)/luthier's glue/hide glue etc is permanent but still removable via steam/heat. That's the main reason.

Do the gaps extend all the way down the sides of the neck pocket? If you insert the neck with a single thickness of paper each side can you pull the paper out without it tearing? Some more photos would also help.

Edit: DB's Glue guide.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 30-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Scott.

Thanks for the reply WeirdBits. Yes you can easily slip paper on both sides of the neck in the pocket without tearing. Yes the gap goes all the way along the neck. I see you left a comment on my Build Diary - is there any specific photo you want?

Just some pics of the front edge of the pocket from the sides and below the neck, so we can see the gap from all aspects. Also, hollow body kits can be a bit more susceptible to changes in environment. So if you're not in Perth and haven't had the kit for more than a week or so I'd give it some more time to acclimatise before committing to any course of action. Gaps can sometimes change a bit as things settle in.
    Scott.

One way to sort this - veneer shims either side to tighten up the neck pocket. Ensure that the neck is properly aligned. You may have to get creative in hiding the look at the top - timber inlay strips, more veneer, binding, just leave it...
    Oh and use titebond glue, more than sufficient. all the best

1+ on the veneer. You want to look for something really white. There are some build pics of Simon doing this... Haven't seen him for a while but he was the king of veneer. Nice thing about veneer is that you can build up to just a little tighter than you need and then sand down to perfect fit. Also good is that if you ever bust a truss rod or the neck twists you'll be able to steam off the Titebond ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk