Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: just started

just started

hello everyone.

just started my build. i bought the dms-4 electric bass guitar I have done a mock build and have bought sand paper and paint. have not started since the drill holes for the back neck plate don't line up. am planning to use wood filler to fix and then sand.

anyone got any hints or anything to be careful about?

Quote Originally Posted by PHILLIAJ View Post
    hello everyone.

just started my build. i bought the dms-4 electric bass guitar I have done a mock build and have bought sand paper and paint. have not started since the drill holes for the back neck plate don't line up. am planning to use wood filler to fix and then sand.

anyone got any hints or anything to be careful about?
    I would use dowels to fill the holes. Wood filler won't have the integrity.

cheers, Mark.

i had not thought of that at all. I was also thinking of maybe drilling new holes yes or no?

i had not thought of that at all. I was also thinking of maybe drilling new holes yes or no?
    Sure. Dowel it with wood glue. Once it's cured you drill the holes in the correct location.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Sure. Dowel it with wood glue. Once it's cured you drill the holes in the correct location.

cheers, Mark.
    +1 - agree with Mark. Will give a significantly better outcome.

Hi all just starting a esb 4 - seems to fit together pretty well although neck heel a little rough - hoping to give an antique style finish will post some pics along the way - regards

so i have just started painting and all the other jazz with that. i want to add a polyurethane clear finish on the neck and was concerned about getting it on the frets. is it okay to add over the top of the
    Last edited by PHILLIAJ; 13-07-2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: i have bad english

so i have just started painting and all the other jazz with that. i want to add a polyurethane clear finish on the neck and was concerned about getting it on the frets. is it okay to add over the top of the
    The short answer is: Maple fretboard = yes, Rosewood fretboard = no.
    Don't know which you got.

Here's a link to a reply I posted recently re: finishing the fretboard
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    The short answer is: Maple fretboard = yes, Rosewood fretboard = no.
    Don't know which you got.

Here's a link to a reply I posted recently re: finishing the fretboard
    While I'm not at all disagreeing with McCreed. There is one guitar company who I believe also lacquer their Rosewood fretboards. That company is Rickenbacker, so not exactly a small company. I've been reading about about the thoughts behind both approaches and the theory about the history of it is that the unfinished fretboard is a hangover from fretless instruments like Violins where it's more likely a finish would chip away over time. I'm planning to research a little more but I will probably finish all of my fretboards on all of my builds regardless of the type of timber.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mentor
    Also I suspect you do have a maple fretboard and you're actually asking whether getting finish on the actual frets is a problem. As far as I'm aware when Fender finish their Maple necks they just spray over the frets as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast