Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: just started

While I'm not at all disagreeing with McCreed. There is one guitar company who I believe also lacquer their Rosewood fretboards.
    Woltz makes a fair point. I probably should have added "traditionally" or "typically" to my previous statement. At the end of the day, the builder can finish or not finish what they want or don't want. No real right or wrong there.

Also I suspect you do have a maple fretboard and you're actually asking whether getting finish on the actual frets is a problem. As far as I'm aware when Fender finish their Maple necks they just spray over the frets as well.
    Further to this, Fender and other mfrs spray the entire neck, frets and all, then remove the clear coat from the frets when cured.
    To mask off each fret would be ridiculously time consuming and costly in a production scenario, so it's quicker and cheaper to just remove it afterwards. Also, masking them would present its own set of problems.

There are different methods and approaches people use and it's entirely personal preference to what works best for you. Some will remove the clear coat in the first stage of the fret levelling process, but I prefer to start my levelling with clean frets. FWIW, I have also done my levelling pre-finish. It depends on the circumstances of the build really. Again, no right or wrong...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I do have a maple fret board to answer that question first off and yes my question was does it matter if i leave the finish on the frets.

so as far as i can gather, I can just leave the finish on the frets or i can take it off depending on how I feel. also that it doesn't matter if I do. is that right?
    Last edited by PHILLIAJ; 14-07-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: have more to add

Quote Originally Posted by PHILLIAJ View Post
    I do have a maple fret board to answer that question first off and yes my question was does it matter if i leave the finish on the frets.

so as far as i can gather, I can just leave the finish on the frets or i can take it off depending on how I feel. also that it doesn't matter if I do. is that right?
    No, you definitely need to remove the lacquer/poly etc from the metal frets. You need metal to metal contact (string to fret) in order for the strings (fretted notes) to "ring". Finish on left the fret would absorb the energy and the strings would dead or muddy. (that's just one problem you'd have)

so how do i set about that?

YouTube is your friend (sometimes)

linky dink

This is just one video tutorial. This guy isn't my fave presenter, but it gives you an idea of the process. Search for one that makes the most sense to you.

edited to add:
    You don't need that fancy bevel knife he uses. Any modelling knife with a fine point blade is fine. (new sharp blade)
    Last edited by McCreed; 14-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.

hey guys i was starting to think about the wiring and have had a major problem finding the right diagram. i have one volume switch, a tone switch, a 3 way switch, a bridge pickup and two pickups that i don't know the name of. i have looked through all of the different diagram guides and have not found the right one. this one looks the closest https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...f/PBG-YB-4.pdf but does not have a three way switch
    Last edited by PHILLIAJ; 16-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Mentor
    hey guys i was starting to think about the wiring and have had a major problem finding the right diagram. i have two volume switches, a 3 way switch, a bridge pickup and two pickups that i don't know the name of. i have looked through all of the different diagram guides and have not found the right one. this one looks the closest https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...f/PBG-YB-4.pdf. ut does not have a three way switch
    I always go here first because there are heaps of wiring diagrams and most of the time you'll be able to find what you need.
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mentor
    Does this look like what you are chasing?

that is almost right there appears to be two switches not one. wait one second i will send a picture.
    Last edited by PHILLIAJ; 16-07-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Mentor
    that is almost right there appears to be to switches not one.
    Yeh I see you edited your post to change from two volume pots to one. Let me have a quick look around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast