Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ES-5V First Build

Great, will either use lemon oil or mineral oil I think. I'm sure either will be fine.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Blindrew, I have read your post back to front and the suggestions section was very helpful. Will certainly be following your tips.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing yours come together.

P.S. check out DarkMark's ES-5V build as well, lots of useful stuff in there (and an amazing finish!)

Will check out DarkMarks build as well.

A few imperfections finally got the better of me and I ended up sanding back some areas of the top of the body. Sanded to 600 then did a wet sand with water using 1000 all over the body followed by a wet sand with tru oil. Hopefully it's not going to be too annoying trying to get the sanded areas to blend. Nothing more layers of pile won't solve I guess.

Neck is also coming together nicely. Have oils the back with tru oil and the fretboard with mineral oil. I'm waiting on some rosewood veneer for the headstock. Not sure if I'll try to do something unique with maple and rosewood or if I'll keep it simple and just do solid rosewood.

I've also picked up some aluminium to make a notched straight edge.

Such a fun process so far.

That looks like it's all coming along nicely.

Built a fretboard straight edge today. Straightened the fretboard and checked the fret heights. Looked good for now so I think I'll assemble the neck and body and dress the frets down the track.

Laminated the headstock today. Was going to with rosewood but decided to go with some recycled River Red Gum. Ripped a piece on the bandsaw and the grain was really nice. Will give it a nice Aussie touch.

Waiting on some Titebond to arrive then I'll glue the neck to the body before final finishing.

Nice touch.

Finished the headstock veneer today and glued the neck up. Veneer was quite thick so I had to thin the headstock down by about 5mm for the tuners to fit properly. I'm thinking now of making a pickguard out of the same red gum. Think it'll tie in nicely.

DId you thin from the back of the headstock or from the front prior to the veneer?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast