Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ES-5V First Build

That's an interesting idea. I'll have a test run at using pencil and also Sharpie pens to try and blend the colour a little.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

I used a fat sharpie around the edge of the pickguard I made for mine.

I have had plenty of interesting ideas which haven’t worked. The sharpie pen idea concerns me, but if it works, good for you. Sometimes it’s a difficult decision, leave it as it is? Or risk making it worse by trying to fix it?
    I’ve got some blemishes on my builds and they honestly don’t bother me, they’re simply talking points now.
    Good luck with your testing.

Yep definitely not going to test on the body itself. If I can't come up with something that looks perfect then I'll leave the blemish. Nothing worse than a bodgey repair! All part of the fun and games!

Put a bit of a chamfer on the fretboard today and gave the back of the neck a sand. Just checking what to finish the fretboard with? Was thinking of just doing a few coats of tru oil.

Have also ordered some rosewood veneer for the headstock and am planning on keeping the shape pretty much as it is.

Second layer of tru oil on the body. Some small imperfections in the veneer that I was too scared to sand out but don't think they will be really noticeable when it's finished. Rubbing with 0000 steel wool between coats and planning for one coat a day. Sound about right?

If i recall, when i did mine i was putting on around 4 coats of truoil then sanding, working up through the grades up to 3000 grit.
    Then a couple of buffs with car polish to finish.

Your finish looks great so I'll follow your steps then!

Well, hopefully not all of the steps, I sincerely regretted some of them!
    On page 16 of this thread (think this link should work) there's a post with some of the things I'd do differently: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...t=8546&page=17
    Might be worth a quick squiz if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by smp976 View Post
    Put a bit of a chamfer on the fretboard today and gave the back of the neck a sand. Just checking what to finish the fretboard with? Was thinking of just doing a few coats of tru oil.

Have also ordered some rosewood veneer for the headstock and am planning on keeping the shape pretty much as it is.

Lemon Oil for the fretboard is the way to go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast