Thread: EX-5 and the traveling Nut

EX-5 and the traveling Nut

Has anyone had this issue? While I setting up the EX-5, I removed the strings to adjust the neck, bridge...and the nut fell right off. I glued it with Titebond wood glue, and let it sit for 24 hours. Set up the bass again. I noticed the nut sliding as if the D, and G were pulling it out. Repeat Glue. Same thing happened. Before the third time, I thought that maybe I have 2 issues going. Perhaps the glue needs longer due to humid conditions, and maybe I used too much glue the second time. I sanded the glue off and then was very conservative in application. This time I let it sit for almost 48 hours before stringing. It lasted a little longer, but the nut is coming out again. Suggestions?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3489.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	31463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nut1.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	31464

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSCRATCH View Post
    Has anyone had this issue? While I setting up the EX-5, I removed the strings to adjust the neck, bridge...and the nut fell right off. I glued it with Titebond wood glue, and let it sit for 24 hours. Set up the bass again. I noticed the nut sliding as if the D, and G were pulling it out. Repeat Glue. Same thing happened. Before the third time, I thought that maybe I have 2 issues going. Perhaps the glue needs longer due to humid conditions, and maybe I used too much glue the second time. I sanded the glue off and then was very conservative in application. This time I let it sit for almost 48 hours before stringing. It lasted a little longer, but the nut is coming out again. Suggestions?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3489.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	31463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nut1.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	31464
    You might need to rough up the bottom of the nut to give the glue a chance. Given that your nut is a Graphtec by the look, Titebond might struggle and you may need to go with a gel type superglue. (Gel because the thin ones tend to go EVERYWHERE!)
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I had same issue gluing graphtec but on ex4. Cleaned up and re titebonded, all good so far, but will use gel if it comes loose again

Shouldn't need more than a drop or two of CA ( superglue )

Thank you. I'll try the Gel superglue. I did sand the bottom of the nut before glueing. It is the nut that came with the kit. Because its basically hallow there isn't much surface area. I'll try super glue and if that doesn't work...new nut.

You might’ve fixed the problem by now. No doubt, the D and G string are pulling the nut out of its slot. It’s a design flaw common to these types of headstocks. I Just finished building my EX-5 and overcame the issue with a string retainer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6393AEE5-AFB8-4919-9ADD-81AB39DBCEDD.jpeg 
Views:	298 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	32435

It would look cool to design a roller for the D and G strings but I’d have to make something like that as I don’t think it exists.

Hey...I love my 5 string Explorer bass. I hope yours is working as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34070407-E055-4255-90B1-57308E8BBD4B.jpeg 
Views:	303 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	32436
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 12-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.