Thread: TL1-AR First Build

TL1-AR First Build

Hell all,

I am an amateur guitar player, beginner woodworker and first time builder. Bit of a late first post as I am already a bit into my build but only some minor sanding, headstock cutting, and neck finishing (bit of a jumpstart on the finishing). Got an ash body telecaster kit with plans of doing a solid cobalt blue colored finish with an epoxy coating and a black pickguard. Unfortunately it seems that my TL1-AR kit did not ship with any pickguard to speak of so I will be buying a cheap one off amazon (I think it would actually be better than the kit one as well). The initial fitting of all parts seems relatively good. And the Head stock cutting came out really well. My only problem seems to be a slight gap between the neck pocket and the body. Minor sanding didn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Welcome Sam
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Welcome Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Unfortunately it seems that my TL1-AR kit did not ship with any pickguard to speak of so I will be buying a cheap one off amazon (I think it would actually be better than the kit one as well)."

Welcome Sam.
    Contact Adam. He really looks after his customers, and I've used the PBG p/guards with no issues. They've been as as good as any after-market ones you'll get from Amazon or eBay. And worth mentioning that even with "brand-name" p/guards, there's no guarantee you won't need to do some filing or shaping to make them fit any given guitar.

"My only problem seems to be a slight gap between the neck pocket and the body. Minor sanding didn't seem to fix the problem."

Can you clarify? (pics??) Do you mean the neck heel and neck pocket (body) and are you referring to the bottom of the pocket? The heel butt and the pocket? More info will help us give you appropriate answers.

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hello!
    I'm another first timer that will also be building a Telecaster. Mine's a thinline.

There are lots and lots of options for a pick guard. I bought one off Ebay and it seems fine. Warmoth also has a vast selection. Even if you simply want black there are options: 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webp_net_resizeimage Final.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	31496

Here is a picture of the neck in the neck pocket. Done slight sanding since this pic. nothing significant.

I'd agree, that's a nice even slim gap across the pocket. Perhaps the heel is a little wider than the pocket? Or the heel end is not quite square, so it contacts the base of the pocket at the bottom edge first?
    I'd not be losing sleep if I left it like that...

That joint looks fine to me. There is nothing to worry about there structurally or sonically IMO. As for appearance, the pickguard should cover up that joint. And don't forget, you will have a build up of finish on the neck (even if very slight) when you do the final assembly.

With a screw-fixed neck you don't want a fit where you have to force the neck into the pocket. You want it to basically "drop in" maybe with a little downward pressure, but that's it. A little space on the sides is a good thing.

This does two things: allows for expansion with humidity changes, and allows for neck adjustment/string alignment.

The more important fit is the mating surfaces of the bottoms of the neck pocket and the heel.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hello guys,

I know I am still very far away from this stage but what are the general thoughts on epoxy and spray finishes. So far I have used a matte spray finish on my neck and plan on finishing my body with epoxy.