Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build #12 - IB-7 Rebuild

Build #12 - IB-7 Rebuild

Built this for my son a while back but I think I screwed up with the combination of colour/clear finishes and it just never cured properly. Was quite soft and marked way too easily. Plus, the colour was just nothing like what I was going for. So, I figured this was a good candidate for a complete strip back and rebuild. Since I took it right back to bare timber, I figure it's essentially a new build, hence the #12.

The original colour was meant to be a chrome type finish along the same lines as Satch's Chrome Boy without the expense of chrome dipping. I knew it wouldn't be as good, but it looked good enough after the Duramax chrome spray. Only problem was that finger prints showed up way too easily and wouldn't rub off. So, I made the ill-fated decision to put on a clear coat to seal it in. That immediately destroyed the "chrome" finish and just sent it grey. Ended up just going with it because at that stage I realised I was never going to get the desired effect and I'd already thrown away enough cash on this paint.

So, we're now working towards an 80's type of colour. Still sticking with the Duramax but going for "Hot Lips" which is a bright red.

Here's what I started with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200828_140149_small.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	371.8 KB 
ID:	41004

Pulling out all the hardware, you can see where all the paint just flaked away.

Name:	20200829_060010_small.jpg 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	41005

Name:	20200829_075402_small.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	41006

Sanding was where it became evident the paint just hadn't cured. Hit it with the orbital and the paint was all gummy. Clogged up many sanding discs. I had to strip it back as best I could, let that paint sit exposed for a couple of days to dry and then strip it back more.

Name:	20200829_091146_small.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	41007

Name:	20200901_104956_small.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	41008

After a week of sanding and more detailed sanding, I had it stripped back as much as I could. Couldn't get into the cavities and the only way I could see I was going to have any impact was with a chemical stripper which I really didn't want to use. So, I've left it as is and roughed up the surface a bit in the hope the new layers stick. Don't care about the pickup cavities and all the bits that will be hidden, but the Floyd cavity might be an issue. I'm just going to hope it isn't.

Name:	20200906_150144_small.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	41009

Name:	20200906_150154_small.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	41010

Name:	20200907_080233_small.jpg 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	41011

This is where I left it for the past 10 months as I worked on a couple of AG kits. Didn't have the room to work on three at a time. Just finished one of the AG's so I've picked this up again. Fixed up a few little holes here and there and put three coats of undercoat on the body and headstock today, sanding between each coat.

Name:	PXL_20210712_053108234.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	41012

Name:	PXL_20210712_053115397.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	41013

Name:	PXL_20210712_053124020.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	41014

Looks like you had a major paint reaction but its looking good now. Ive had heaps of problems with different paints so now i always do test patches first.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Personally, I would avoid the Duramax like the plague. I tried it a few years ago on a tele and had a horrible interaction between the base coat and top coat (clear). It crinkled like buggery despite Dulux telling me they are absolutely compatible when I complained.

I also used it on an MDF desk top for my wife's home office set up (Hot Lips - she picked it) and it took forever to lose its tack and gas off, and it still rubs off on her elbows after 3-4 years.

Also, given that you had issues with it on your first round, should be reason enough not to go there again IMO.
    The Duramax paints are enamel and I have had enough bad experiences using enamel on guitars, that I'll never use it again.
    My advice would be an automotive acrylic lacquer, of which there a plenty available in rattle cans and in a broad range of colours. I'm sure you could find a nice bright red if that's what you're heart is set on.

Just my 2˘...
    Last edited by McCreed; 15-07-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Personally, I would avoid the Duramax like the plague. I tried it a few years ago on a tele and had a horrible interaction between the base coat and top coat (clear). It crinkled like buggery despite Dulux telling me they are absolutely compatible when I complained.

I also used it on an MDF desk top for my wife's home office set up (Hot Lips - she picked it) and it took forever to lose its tack and gas off, and it still rubs off on her elbows after 3-4 years.

Also, given that you had issues with it on your first round, should be reason enough not to go there again IMO.
    The Duramax paints are enamel and I have had enough bad experiences using enamel on guitars, that I'll never use it again.
    My advice would be an automotive acrylic lacquer, of which there a plenty available in rattle cans and in a broad range of colours. I'm sure you could find a nice bright red if that's what you're heart is set on.

Just my 2˘...
    Agreed, I have struggled mightily with Rustoleum and dulux, switched to SCA automotive paints and they’ve been far better.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Agreed, I have struggled mightily with Rustoleum and dulux, switched to SCA automotive paints and they’ve been far better.
    +1 for the quality of SCA paint. You won't regret it. They just perform very well.

While I'm waiting for my ST to dry off, thought I'd do a bit more on this. Looks like my wet sanding skills still leave a lot to be desired. Think I need to go back for more sanding and then polish again.

Speaking of wet sanding skills, I think I'm using too much water in the process, or I need to somehow protect drill holes better as this is not the first time I've had streaks of timber swelling underneath the colour because water gets in where it's not sealed while sanding. What's the best method here? I was thinking maybe a smear of vaseline or maybe some wax in the holes and around the unsealed edges but I don't know how effective that'll be.

Name:	PXL_20210830_221528579.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	41444

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast