Thread: Volume and Tone Pot mounts

Volume and Tone Pot mounts

Hi All,
    Im looking for a little assistance; im putting together a Rickenbacker Kit and i have done all the wiring, ready to mount the controls onto the scratch plate (as is the case with RBs) ... my issue is this; the pots dont sit flush on the back side of the plate - there is a small "dag" that sets the threaded shaft off center when i apply the nut to the front - this means that the nut never seats properly and the whole thing ends up not sitting straight. Is this normal? should i be looking for another "piece" that i should be installing. Cutting the "Dag" seems out of the question - it is quite thick and doesnt bend - my guess is "leave it alone" ... Any ideas? Pic attached

Cheers all

G8tr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pot1.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	31422  

You drill a small hole that the 'dag' sits in.
    It's usually covered by the flange of the volume/tone knob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dag holes.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	31423

cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 22-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Drilling a small hole to accomodate the ‘dag’ prevents the pot from rotating (you see the holes on some Tele control plates etc), but it’s not really needed. It’s more common to just bend the dag/tab with some pointy-nose pliers... it may bend flat or just snap off cleanly, either way is fine and problem solved.
    Scott.

Thanks for that ... i didnt want to destroy the pot - drilling a hole is an issue as its only a thin scratch plate ... removing the Dag/Tab would be best i think ... although - thinking about it ... i suppose the knob will probably cover any hole .... i'll measure up and see

Cheers

G8tr

5. Liked by: rokitrik

I always break them off.
    Scott.

7. Liked by: corsair

Yep... me, too!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel