Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eko

Hi SM and FW, yep, I tried Allen keys with no joy. The inner hole seems to be as round as a rissole.
    I do have the neck I could practice on with the fret replacement, but with all the other symptoms this patient is presenting with I’m starting to think the owner should take it in to a proper guitar tech who knows what we are dealing with here. I would hate to make a mess of something as old as this, especially as it is not mine. From looking at these pictures I suspect we may be dealing with the traditional truss rod style.
    I think I’ll swing by the local music shop today and see if they have anything to contribute.

Ok, so the guitar tech suspects the truss rod has been broken and the adjustment part thrown away. Remove fret board, replace truss rod, re-fret, possibly replace purfling and refinish neck on the cards. At least I have a contact who is experienced with restoring guitars of this vintage. I not about to attempt this for the first time on the boss’s guitar. Up to him now if he wants to spend the money. I think it’s requiring more work then he expected.

There you go folks, something to check before you purchase a second hand guitar. Buyer beware.

Yowsa. That's a tough, potentially expensive, lesson to learn for your boss.

At least he can see that you are looking out for him. I think the re-fret was probably doable, but once you start talking removing boards, especially with vintage axes and bindings and what not a whole new level of complexity is broached. Good to know your limits some times.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Yowsa. That's a tough, potentially expensive, lesson to learn for your boss.

At least he can see that you are looking out for him. I think the re-fret was probably doable, but once you start talking removing boards, especially with vintage axes and bindings and what not a whole new level of complexity is broached. Good to know your limits some times.
    Could not agree more, FW. Now how do I break the news to him? Email, or wait until the end of my shift?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hah. If it were me I’d be glad you found out and told me. At least you can tell him it’s fixable.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Hah. If it were me I’d be glad you found out and told me. At least you can tell him it’s fixable.
    Yeah +1 on that.
    FrankenLab

DarkMark, “What would you like first, the good news or the bad news?”
    Boss, “Umm, the good news.”
    DarkMark, “Well....I’ve got a contact number for someone to help you with all the bad news I’m about to give you.”

Ouch. How did the conversation go from there?
    FrankenLab

The good news may be that it's worth fixing... Ekos are really cool and unique. I have a beautiful old case from one that I plan to use for a strat... Better than the Fender cases of the same era. Bad news is....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fender3x; 25-06-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Ouch. How did the conversation go from there?
    He took it in good spirit. He is going to follow up the contact I was given. I believe he got it for a good price so he’s got bit of a buffer for spending some money on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast