Thread: Wiring for BG-46

Wiring for BG-46

Hi all, hope all is well.

Been awhile since i have been on here.

I have the BG-46 double neck. I have wired it up according to the wiring diagram supplied by PitBull, however, no matter in which position i have the 3 way switch selector, the bass and guitar are always on and the bottom volume control is acting like a master volume, controlling both bass and guitar when they should have one volume knob each. I thought i may have been given a faulty 3 way switch, so i purchased a new, but i still have the same problem !

Can anyone please help, as i this thing will be the death of me !!!

Regards.

The PBG BG-46 diagram appears to have an extra switch on it (a 3rd toggle switch) for the bass pickup selection, which the kit doesn’t actually have. This means it should really be one selector for the guitar pickups with one volume, the bass pickups wired like a Jazz bass with two volumes and no selector, the guitar and bass outputs going to the neck selector and the out from that going to a master tone and then going to the jack.

Do you want to be able to have both necks on at the same time, or just bass or guitar and mute/off in the middle position? If it’s the latter, then this post has some diagrams that may work for you. If you want the option to have both necks on at the same time, as in bass/both/guitar on the neck selector, then I could sketch up a diagram for you when I get some time in the next few days.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 18-06-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    The PBG BG-46 diagram appears to have an extra switch on it (a 3rd toggle switch) for the bass pickup selection, which the kit doesn’t actually have. This means it should really be one selector for the guitar pickups with one volume, the bass pickups wired like a Jazz bass with two volumes and no selector, the guitar and bass outputs going to the neck selector and the out from that going to a master tone and then going to the jack.

Do you want to be able to have both necks on at the same time, or just bass or guitar and mute/off in the middle position? If it’s the latter, then this post has some diagrams that may work for you. If you want the option to have both necks on at the same time, as in bass/both/guitar on the neck selector, then I could sketch up a diagram for you when I get some time in the next few days.
    Thank you WeirdBits for your info, much appreciated. Yeah, i would like to have the option of Bass/both/Guitar. I thought the wiring diagram for the BG-46 had it hooked up like that and following the wiring, it looks like its wired up that way, but not so, guitar and bass is working in all 3 positions, with the two volume controls changing when the 3 way selector switch is flicked up to bass and down to guitar. I already have to volume pot lugs soldered back on the pot as an earth, so the diagram you provided is not an option unless i unsolder them. If you could get a chance to draw up the wiring diagram to have it Bass/both/Guitar, it would be much appreciated..

Ohhh, and the 3 way switch you see on both pages of the guitar and bass wiring, is the same 3 way switch, they both connect to it.

Ok, as promised here's a diagram for the BG-46 using the stock parts with the neck selector giving Bass/Both/Guitar:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_46_stock_parts_bass-both-guitar.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	31415

The Bass side is wired like a Jazz Bass, so adjust the bass volumes up/down to get the pickup(s) you want. The Guitar side has the lower pickup selector and a single volume control. The guitar volume is wired like an LP so even when you have both necks on you can zero the volume to mute the entire beast (if you don't want it like that, just swap the blue and purple connections on the lugs of the guitar volume). The Tone works as a master tone for both necks.

For those interested, here's an alternate version using stock parts with neck selector giving Bass/Off/Guitar:

Name:	BG_46_stock_parts_bass-off-guitar.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	31416

Same basic functionality as above, but the neck selector gives Bass, Guitar or Off/Mute in the middle position. Essentially, the Guitar circuit and the Bass circuit are linked in series across the neck selector toggle switch, and it shorts out whichever you don't want. In the centre position it shorts both circuits giving you an 'Off'. Note: for this layout to work the ground lugs on the Bass volume pots don't connect to the back of the pot, instead they are grounded as needed by the neck selector setting. So, wire them as drawn if you want the layout to work.

Let me know if you need anything else.
    Scott.

Ok, as promised here's a diagram for the BG-46 using the stock parts with the neck selector giving Bass/Both/Guitar:

Name:	BG_46_stock_parts_bass-both-guitar.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	31415

The Bass side is wired like a Jazz Bass, so adjust the bass volumes up/down to get the pickup(s) you want. The Guitar side has the lower pickup selector and a single volume control. The guitar volume is wired like an LP so even when you have both necks on you can zero the volume to mute the entire beast (if you don't want it like that, just swap the blue and purple connections on the lugs of the guitar volume). The Tone works as a master tone for both necks.

For those interested, here's an alternate version using stock parts with neck selector giving Bass/Off/Guitar:

Name:	BG_46_stock_parts_bass-off-guitar.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	31416

Same basic functionality as above, but the neck selector gives Bass, Guitar or Off/Mute in the middle position. Essentially, the Guitar circuit and the Bass circuit are linked in series across the neck selector toggle switch, and it shorts out whichever you don't want. In the centre position it shorts both circuits giving you an 'Off'. Note: for this layout to work the ground lugs on the Bass volume pots don't connect to the back of the pot, instead they are grounded as needed by the neck selector setting. So, wire them as drawn if you want the layout to work.

Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thank you WeirdBits, much appreciated for your time and help. I will try the first diagram.