Thread: Hudson's Introduction and Initial Queries

Hudson's Introduction and Initial Queries

What's up fellas, my name is Connor, and I'm from the United States, but I've gone a long time by the internet alias of Hudson that it's become a second name to me.

I love guitars and own quite a few myself and only have one that I "built" (I use the term built here super loosely since all I did was strap the pickguard in and get the local shop guys to do a setup on the thing, and my paintwork was somewhat questionable at the time, but I was a kid then, live and learn)

I'm very interested in learning to build guitars since I have played them since I was nine and the little intricacies and parts have intrigued me all the while. I'm a bit of a metalhead, though I also listen to lighter and classic rock and the occasional 80's pop tune and I can't get enough of the real thick sound of Humbucker pickups (so much so that all the electrics I own are in HH configuration).

So I have a few questions before I get into this a little more, I would appreciate feedback since it makes making my decision that much easier!:

1. Having no experience with soldering before, is it truly as difficult as I've been lead to believe? I know my younger brother has done that sort of thing in his high school tech classes so I can't imagine it's rocket science. How can I practice before the build?

2. I've looked around on the site for a few days and found a few body types that I really liked (EX, RD, FV, etc.) I've already got a few strat style doublecuts, an LP and an ES-335, but I want to get something unique and different that will really challenge me. Issue is, I'm quite picky on the wood itself since I really want to get a purple stain finish to my next build. I sort of like the flame maple V, but I also feel that accenting grain in an ash or paulownia body RD/EX etc. would look really neat. How much more does the Custom stuff tend to run? And do you recommend any of these in particular?

3. What was your favorite build to do? Very interested in seeing other's jobs so I can get ideas to incorporate in my own!

I hope I get to know some of you guys a little more, and appreciate the time!

Cheers,
    HudsonTheHipster

Welcome along Hudson (Connor) - for my 2c:
    1. No its not - many beginners are daunted by it, but like many things its about thinking ahead and prep. Practice - start by tinning wire and then if you want to go further - grab a cheap or second hand pot and practice soldering wires to the back of it. They tend to be stubborn in terms of taking solder.
    2. Paulownia / basswood will not get a lot of grain features out of it. Hence I'd probably target Ash or some of the new zebrawood kits coming through. Some of the veneers can be very thin and as a beginner - getting the most out of it can be a challenge.
    3. Favourite build - both to do and to play has been my VP bass (https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=2759). Close second is the SG bass https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...462#post184462. Check out the rest of the photo galleries - there are some very impressive guitars there.

Thanks for the feedback! I figure I might just end up custom ordering an Ash RD, since I think that's now what I'm most interested in. I have a good feeling that it will be just the change of pace that I need!