Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Double neck wiring...help !

Thanks I'll have a look at that tomorrow. What gauge are the cables supplied? I'm thinking of buying some more and starting again from the beginning!.

Thanks I'll have a look at that tomorrow. What gauge are the cables supplied with the kit ? I'm thinking of buying some more and starting again.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hopefully Weirdbits will be along shortly with some answers. I've looked over the photos, but without having it physically in front of me I'm having trouble following the current flow.

The gauge of wire isn't super important, I've substituted in automotive 3mm before, could probably go a size down. You are dealing with pretty low currents and voltages being generated.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

From the photos it looks like you've slightly misread the PBG Twin-Neck diagram and added some connections that are killing your sound. Understandable, as it would be easy to read the diagram that way.

On the diagram it seems you have read this ground link (red arrow) as connecting from the switch ground lug to the volume pot lug and then to the back of the pot, where it should actually just go from the switch lug to the back of the pot (on both of the pickup selectors). It's just a quirk of the diagram that the grey wire is drawn running over the pot lug solder point, but it doesn't actually connect there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBG_SGD-612_p1_arrows.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	31347

It looks like you've done it by running the ground wire to the volume pot lug, on each volume, and then added these loops to link it to the back of the pot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris_Hawkins_612_cavity_arrows.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	31348

This would definitely kill all sound. To fix it just remove those loops from the pot lug to the back of the pot and instead connect the ground wires from the switch lug direct to the back of the volume pots. Make sense?

It's possible there could be other problems, can't always tell from photos, but the above should fix it.
    Scott.

Thanks WeirdBits I've updated the diagram and sent it to Adam - will let you know when it's up on the site.

Hi can you tell me the gauge of cable used in the kit ? I think I'll buy some more and start again !

If that works I will be very annoyed! The diagram is very clear about connecting it there! It's not a quirk it's wrong!

Ok I've calmed down now ! Thanks for your help guys ! It has worked! I can go to bed happy ! Not just that my fifteen year old son doesn't think I'm a loser anymore! Haha happy days let's get those necks fitted and rock out ! Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hawkins View Post
    Not just that my fifteen year old son doesn't think I'm a loser anymore!
    That's definitely what I'd label 'blithe optimism'
    for me, no matter how many 'victories' one chalks up, life still resembles a series of 'Jonathon Creek'.

Glad you finally got the wiring sorted out.
    That is one department that seemingly bring's on early dementia.

cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 14-06-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Glad it's working.
    Scott.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast