Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Crane fabric top TL-1

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Mate, that is effing stunning! Nice job!

I have a few questions for you:

What glue did you use under the fabric?
    What is the clear resin you used, and how did you apply it?
    And, how did you end up finishing off the fabric edge? It looks seamless as far as I can tell!
    It is normal PVA glue, but make sure it was spread in a very thin layer, as it will soak through if is too thick. The resin I used is call Kraft Kote. At the end of day you could use most self-levelling resin with low viscosity and long setting time. Clear resin for River Table Top, or resin used to seal photo/ canvas are ideal for this process. (Don't use anything resin you got from hardware store, they are lightly to be old.)

As for the edge, go have a look at post #17, there is a indentation on the edge, hence when apply resin you could sand it back to level the edge. If i have redo this project again, i will start building the edge with resin first, once is think enough, do the flood coat.

Thanks for the info Kac.

Yes, I remember seeing the edge as if it were prepared for binding. So I presume you let the little ledge catch & build up the resin so you can then sand it back? (just want to be sure I grasp the concept correctly)

At the risk of sounding toady, that is a very inspiring build. Really got me thinking...
    Thanks
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

@McCreed You got the right idea, you want the edge higher than the guitar body, prior to sand it down. The edge was really the most challenging and time consuming part in this project. If i have to build another fabric top, I will build up few layer of resin on the edge first prior to flood coat, that will make your life so much easier.

I forgot to mention in my post that, prior to glue your fabric, make sure you lay the fabric on the guitar, see how transparent it is. If is a very light colour fabric, the timber colour will show through and make it looks yellow once PVA glue soak through the fabric. If it looks really yellow, prime the surface with thin layer of acrylic paint prior to apply the glue.
    Last edited by Kac; 21-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.

That looks really good, you致e done and awesome job and I致e enjoyed watching your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good additional info Kac. Thanks again.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5