Thread: Crane fabric top TL-1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crane fabric top TL-1

Greetings everyone,

It's day 4 since I have received my TL-1 kit, is time to document what I have done so far. It's my first build so any suggestion and comment are greatly appreciated. Long story short, had a 5 years break with guitar and had this fascination with fabric top guitar for a while and almost order a black paisley Harley Benton Tele, but because of the long waiting time, I have cancelled the order and decided to build one for myself.

Instead of using the paisley, I have chosen the the following Japanese fabric.

Day 1: Didn't do much on day 1 other than dry fitting the neck, pick guard and control plate and sketching where I should have position the bridge.

Day 2: Install the neck and more measurement on bridge position.

Day 3: Installed the machine head , can't resisted anymore, and decided to bite the bullet and drill the body and installed the bridge. I could have place it further back to the body for better intonation, but decided to place in the current position so that the bridge won't block the crane pattern and to minimise the routing required for the bridge pick up. (The kit only come with 3 screw, and I need 4 for this Wilkinson bridge ) Put the string on and thanks god I managed to get intonation right.

Decided to build this string through so, but because I don't have a drill press, I need to find way to drill as straight as I can, and eventually build a jig or guide for the drill with some scrap timber from home.

Day 4: Practice using the drill guide on scarp timber and this is the result. This block is thicker than the Tele body, so I think it will work.

Last edited by Kac; 31-05-2019 at 05:40 AM.

2. Liked by: Thunderbird