Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aussie timber recommendations for semi-scratch solid body build

Aussie timber recommendations for semi-scratch solid body build

As the title implies, I'm thinking about doing a custom design body with a pre-made neck down the track.

What Australian timbers would be good for a solid body electric that isn't going to be stupid heavy and not require massive amounts of chambering? (I'm not thinking a capped or thinline type body for my first one.)

Also, would like something that will look nice with a natural finish. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Silky Oak, Blackwood, Mountain Ash.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Thanks kuanjb.

Your suggestion of Silky Oak is the second one I've received. I'll def check some out.

I don't know much about Blackwood or Mountain Ash. For some reason though I've presumed them to be pretty dense and heavy.
    I'll look into them as well.

Blackwood is actually a great tone wood which unfortunately hadn't been developed in Australia. It's now being grown overseas, like China, in plantations as they saw the potential and the impending lack of traditional tone woods due to unsustainable forestry practices.

Here's some blackwood caps:
    https://guitartimbers.com/product-ca...ood-caps-tops/

Here's a list of some Australian tone woods and their uses.
    https://guitartimbers.com/timbers/

You can look up on the wood database to see density etc but it should be noted that some less dense woods can end up being heavier as they are very thirsty woods. Silky Oak is very heavy when finished but it's less dense than Blackwood.

Last edited by kuanjb; 28-05-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Queensland maple is also beautiful. But it hasn't been grown and harvested sustainably so it's hard to get. There are some plantations but apparently the timber qualify isn't as good as the plantations done have the same conditions as rainforests.
    Camphor is a weed growing NSW and has quite an attractive figuring with pinks in it. Should be cheaper to obtain than it is.

Mentor
    Camphor is a great suggestion.

Mountain Ash is Eucalyptus and will probably be quite heavy.

In regards to Silky Oak. Be aware there are two different types Southern Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta) that grows in NSW and bottom of QLD and Northern Silky Oak (Cardwellia sublimis) which grows in northern QLD. Both are from the same family.

Another one that I believe may be suitable would be Tasmanian Sassafras. You can get trees that have been infected with a fungus which gives it streaks (usually referred to as Blackheart Sassafras).

Camphor laurel, Queensland maple.
    Both can have nice figure and not bad on the weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28468587_2098408883780344_5900122995623794598_n.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	31232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	658.3 KB 
ID:	31233  
    Tony

Good stuff guys!
    I came upon the AGT website after I posted this thread. Definitely some nice options there, and I didn't find the prices too bad either.

I also stumbled on the wood database too. That was interesting to see the various specs, especially the dried weight mass. It really helped to guesstimate what a typical body blank might weigh.

@ vh2580 - Like thte way you "hardtailed" the vibrato for a string-through on that tele! Cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post

@ vh2580 - Like thte way you "hardtailed" the vibrato for a string-through on that tele! Cool idea.
    I think you'll find they're two different guitars. Top is Camphor Laurel and the bottom is Queensland Maple.

Mentor
    Have a look at this thread McCreed - https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=9434. I've tried to start putting together a list of timber suppliers in Aus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast