Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Series / Parallel & Phase Switching with Push-Pull Pots

Series / Parallel & Phase Switching with Push-Pull Pots

I've got two push-pull pots (among some other goodies) on the way and want to run a wiring diagram past someone with a bit more wiring experience than me (i.e. any at all!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phase + serial-parallel switch(1).png 
Views:	319 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	31231

The idea is that the TONE push-pull pot can reverse the polarity of the signal from the BRIDGE pickup. while the VOLUME push-pull pot can combine the signals in series, as opposed to parallel. Ground symbols mean connect to the top of the volume pot, except the one coming off of the jack which goes to the bridge.

The diagram off of one that I found here for humbuckers, which has an extra switch for coil-tapping each pickup (which I won't need as my guitar has p90s)

Would love some feedback!

The tone pot switch seems to reverse the flow to the bridge pickup, but i am a little confused about what you want the volume switch to do? Is it a series/parallel switch?

Yep, that's right for the tone push-pull. From what I've seen online, by reversing the flow of one pickup you make it 'out of phase' with the other, and when both are selected you cancel out some frequencies and get quite a cool thin sound.

I've been thinking pretty obsessively about the volume push-pull, and now I'm thinking that the design might be a bit backwards - I should probably wire the ground from the neck into the common lug to get a series setup. I might just can that particular setup and use that setup which I found after posting here: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl..._To_Your_Strat

What you’re wanting to do is easy enough with the two push/pulls, and your diagram is in the ballpark.

Your tone lug connections are a little off, with the way the pot is drawn you’d have the cap on the other outside lug (left) and the signal to the middle lug. The outside lugs on the volume would also need to be swapped. The other issue is the pickup selector switch when in series mode. Neck position would give just the Neck, Middle position would short out the bridge and again just give Neck, Bridge position would give you Neck and Bridge in series. That’s fine if that’s how you want it to work, but there are alternatives.

I’d probably change the series order of the diagram to make things a little easier, have Bridge -> Phase push/pull and have that feed to the series/para switch on the Neck’s negative. Happy to sketch something up if you’d like.
    Scott.

Thanks for the feedback Weirdbits! What do you think of this attempt? Apologies for all the clutter, and thank you for pointing out the lugs (I haven't rearranged them but I'll make sure to when I actually wire this up).

Name:	phase + serial-parallel switch(2).png 
Views:	193 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	31234

In the diagram, the left-hand wire coming out of the pickups is the ground - this should work right? What are the different pickup selector arrangements that you mentioned? In series mode I should be getting a signal through both the Neck and Middle position, right?

Yep, that would pretty much work. Again, the pickup selector will be a little strange in series mode, but some like it that way. This time in the Bridge position you'll get an 'off' with no output, then Middle and Neck positions will both give you Bridge + Neck in series.

Another alternative is to effectively neutralise the pickup selector when in series mode. That way you don't have to touch the push/pull and change the selector when you want series, and you just have to tap the push/pull down to switch back. On the volume push/pull, swap the current bridge hot link from the right middle lug to the right bottom lug, move the selector link from the right bottom to the right middle lug, and connect the Neck hot to the top right lug before running it on to its current lug on the pickup selector. With the push/pull down in parallel mode you get the normal Bridge/Both/Neck, with the push/pull up in series you get Bridge + Neck in series regardless of the selector switch's position.

One other thing that could be an issue is reversing the phase on a P90, depending on the P90. If your pickups have braided shield/negative then you'll need to insulate that on the bridge pup so it can't short when the phase is reversed, as it will then be 'hot'. Heat shrink will work, sometimes then covered in copper tape to screen it. Or, swap out the wires on that pickup for shielded two core, that way you have a separate shield/ground from the pickup's hot and negative. If you get what I mean. But again, it depends on your brand and style of pickups as you what you will need to do, if anything.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 28-05-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Scott.

Thank you again for the pointers, you've opened my eyes! I found this all very confusing a few days ago, but having drawn these diagrams it all seems much more intuitive. Just in case someone comes across this thread in the future looking for pointers, here is an updated diagram with the tips from WeirdBits

Name:	phase + serial-parallel switch(3).png 
Views:	212 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	31243

Not sure which arrangement I will end up going for - while it would be nice to only have to flick one switch at a time, the allure of having a built in kill-switch in the pickup selector is quite strong. RE the bridge pickup shorting when reversed, the set I've ordered has an insulated wire for the negative so I should be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Thank you again for the pointers, you've opened my eyes! I found this all very confusing a few days ago, but having drawn these diagrams it all seems much more intuitive. Just in case someone comes across this thread in the future looking for pointers, here is an updated diagram with the tips from WeirdBits

Name:	phase + serial-parallel switch(3).png 
Views:	212 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	31243

Not sure which arrangement I will end up going for - while it would be nice to only have to flick one switch at a time, the allure of having a built in kill-switch in the pickup selector is quite strong. RE the bridge pickup shorting when reversed, the set I've ordered has an insulated wire for the negative so I should be sweet.
    Looks great. I will be trying this soon. Are the lugs still opposite in your new diagram, that's the confusing bit.

Looks good. Don’t forget to correct the pot lug connections when you wire it and you should be good to go.
    Scott.

Here's one with the components for anyone interested, just to clarify the pot lug connections.

When the volume push/pull is down you have 'parallel mode' with the standard Bridge/Both/Neck on the pickup selector. With the volume push/pull up in 'series mode' it just gives you Bridge + Neck in series, the pickup selector has no effect.

Name:	P90_phase_para-series_pushpulls_v1.png 
Views:	944 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	31245
    Scott.

11. Liked by: fender3x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast