Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telequipment D33R Oscilloscope.

Telequipment D33R Oscilloscope.

Hey Everyone,

My older brother recently got in contact with me and asked me if I was interested in an old Oscilloscope that was being sold by someone in Queensland, it turned out to be an old Telequipment D33R 15Mhz Dual Trace Valve Oscilloscope, anyway, my older brother has bought it for me and will be sending it to me in the post, here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Telequipment D33R_resized.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	31217

I think it's going to prove to be quite a useful piece of test gear for doing any servicing work on guitar amplifiers, even though it's a 15Mhz Oscilloscope, that's still plenty of bandwith to handle audio which ranges from about 20Hz to 20kHz, of course, you can get by with just a multimeter but being able to see what the signal looks like at different points in a circuit does help things a lot, next thing I need to either buy or build is a decent Audio Sine/Square signal generator, I found an old ETI (Electronics Today International) magazine pdf online that featured an interesting project article for a sweep oscillator, and it also had artwork for etching a circuit board, so it's going to be a build project I'll be working on soon.

Apparently there are two versions of this Oscilloscope, there's the D33 which was in a typical Oscilloscope case, and the rackmount D33R which is the one you see above.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 26-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Very nice Doc.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Very nice Doc.

Cheers, when it arrives I'll make sure I post some more pics of it in this thread, including some of the insides.

My golly, that is old... Hope it still works. A scope is very useful if it does work.

I have at least 6 scopes of various sorts. Only use 2 on any regular basis, being a DSO 100MHz digital thing and a 20MHz 2ch Kenwood. Two are kaput, being the Tektronics 456 and a Hitachi 60MHz, then I have the tiny LCD kit toy that has its uses, and a single channel 5MHz antique that I picked up a a HemFest auction.

Of all of them the 100MHz DSO is the pick of the bunch. Once you know how to use it looking at any waveform is so simple. got it for AU$350 on ebay...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    My golly, that is old... Hope it still works. A scope is very useful if it does work.

I have at least 6 scopes of various sorts. Only use 2 on any regular basis, being a DSO 100MHz digital thing and a 20MHz 2ch Kenwood. Two are kaput, being the Tektronics 456 and a Hitachi 60MHz, then I have the tiny LCD kit toy that has its uses, and a single channel 5MHz antique that I picked up a a HemFest auction.

Of all of them the 100MHz DSO is the pick of the bunch. Once you know how to use it looking at any waveform is so simple. got it for AU$350 on ebay...
    Apparently it could be either 1950's or 1960's vintage, so yeah it's an oldie, it's most likely 1960's vintage, I did manage to find circuit diagrams for the model D33, which is basically the same as the D33R which is in a 19 inch rackmount case, the seller said it was working the last time they powered it up, I'll need to buy some new scope probes soon.

I've got a more modern 20Mhz Dual Trace solid state Oscilloscope that I bought from Dick Smith Electronics with the help of my dad, back in 1998, it's still working, but I need to give the case a bit of a clean cause it's getting a bit grimey.

I'll probably need to buy a high voltage multimeter probe that can withstand up to 30kV if I ever need to do any servicing on the D33R Oscilloscope, oh and a good isolation transformer too.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 26-05-2019 at 10:58 PM.

The HV probe is only useful if you have display screen issues, the rest of the time it will sit on the shelf.

Get the biggest iso transformer you can afford. 500W at a minimum. 1kW is probably ideal for most work. Mine is a 2k5W monster that weighs near 15kg.

I got my Kenwood 20MHz back in 1986 from DSE. Has a few minor issues now but still does the basics that I need it for.

Here's a pic of the 20Mhz Dual Trace solid state Oscilloscope I bought, with the help of my dad, from Dick Smith Electronics back in 1998:

Name:	DSE Scope_resized.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	31223

It's a more modern design than the D33R, has a built-in component tester and as far as I know it's still a worker, I need to buy a couple of new probes for it soon.

I remember the day it first arrived in the post and was delivered, I had just arrived back home from doing my tech for my apprenticeship as a fitter and machinist, it was exciting to unpack it from it's cardboard box and power it up for the first time, I used it a lot to analyze the circuits I built.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 27-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Update:

My older brother just let me know that he has sent the Telequipment D33R Oscilloscope in the post to me, so it should arrive in maybe a couple of weeks, will post some more pics of it after it arrives, feeling pretty excited about that.

Might use it to do a quick mini-tutorial on how to use it to trace a signal through a circuit if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 16-06-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Update:

My Telequipment D33R Oscilloscope is going to be delivered on Monday next week at 12:00 noon.

The Telequipment D33R Oscilloscope just got delivered to my front door, unfortunately there's a big hole in the front of the Cathode Ray Tube so I'll have to find a replacement for it.

The hole in the CRT:

Name:	Broken CRT_resized.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	31441
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 24-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast