Thread: Finally figured out why my studio pc has been giving me so much grief.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally figured out why my studio pc has been giving me so much grief.

Hey Everyone,

I've finally figured out why my studio pc has been giving me so much grief over the last couple of years, turns out that the Sata hard drive I was using for the system drive was getting a bit old and worn out, and about a fortnight ago it literally dropped it's bundle and the pc wouldn't boot up normally, so I went to work on it and managed to get it going again, thinking that the 1.5Tb Sata hard drive I was using was getting a bit flaky, I decided to try substituting a 2Tb Sata hard drive in the hope that things would improve, I backed up all my wanted data off the 2Tb Sata hard drive and then reformatted it, then did a complete clean install of Windows 10 64 Bit on it, all seemed to be fine and dandy....or so I thought.

Last week I had left the studio pc powered on to give it a soak-test while I was watching some youtube videos on my new Acer aspire 5 laptop, I went out into my loungeroom to get some water to drink, I noticed that the monitor screen was all black even though the pc was definitely on, so I tried doing a hard-reset, the pc tried to boot and I heard an abnormal noise coming from the 2Tb Sata hard drive I was using as the system drive, tried a few more times to get it to boot up with the same result every time, then I remembered that I had a spare 160Gb Sata hard drive so I used it to replace the 2Tb Sata hard drive, that got the pc booting-up normally again.

I decided there and then that I wasn't going to waste my time with Sata hard drives anymore, and finally make the switch to using some new SSD hard drives, which would definitely boost the performance of my studio pc (I had noticed that my studio pc had been running a bit sluggishly sometimes), so no more Sata hard drives for me, I've lost quite a bit of data, which I wished I had backed up, due to Sata hard drives failing one after another.

I found an online Australian company where I can order some 1Tb SSD hard drives which will cost me only Au$160.00 each, I'll post a link to the website soon for all those interested.

Incidentally my new Acer aspire 5 laptop has a 250Gb SSD hard drive installed in it and it has given me far less trouble than my studio pc,that's what clinched it for me.

I've read online somewhere that SSD hard drives have an estimated life before failure of about 350 years (barring any damage due to static electricity), assuming that I'm not wrong about that, whereas a typical Sata hard drive has an estimated life before failure of about 5 years due to mechanical wear, since SSD hard drives have no mechanical moving parts, they don't wear out like Sata hard drives do, the data read speeds of an SSD hard drive is much faster than a Sata hard drive too at about 580mb/sec as I have seen watching a youtube video by Carey Holtzman (do a search on youtube for him, very interesting and entertaining, he's a long time IT tech and definitely knows his stuff).
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 21-05-2019 at 08:42 PM.

2. Liked by: ONSatan