Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finally figured out why my studio pc has been giving me so much grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    With $20 cash back - not a bad deal... Check out msy.com.au as well. Good for a parts shop.
    Will do mate, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Sorted it out for you Dave! We've got your back!
    Thanks Brendan the phone is a PITA to edit with as it only gives me a delete option once I hit edit and then it's not optional

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Here's a link to the website I found that sells the 1Tb SSD hard drive I'm interested in:

www.mwave.com.au

This is the SSD hard drive I'm interested in:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sam...AdZE2767W4jfjQ

Ideally I'd like to buy four of them because my studio pc has four Sata hard drives installed in it and there's no telling when they'll fail, I have had Sata hard drives fail with literally no warning whatsoever, one was a 4 Tb Sata hard drive which was originally in an external hard drive case so it had quite a lot of wanted data on it, a very painful lesson indeed.
    The main fails I've had with SATA drives is the cable & MB sockets not the drives themselves, having grown up with IDE drives I find the SATA connectors very flimsy considering what they are required to do

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The main fails I've had with SATA drives is the cable & MB sockets not the drives themselves, having grown up with IDE drives I find the SATA connectors very flimsy considering what they are required to do

I'll have to agree with you on that, I've had at least one Sata cable with a piece of the plastic near the connector pins break off so that there's no pressure on the contacts, I replaced the cable and all was well, I've also experienced flaky behavior of the cables too.

May I suggest that if you are using Solid-State Drives (SSD) then you make sure your back up and recovery practices are thorough and well managed?

Magnetic platter drives (SATA, IDE etc) tend to give hints that they are about to fail - lost sectors, bad blocks, general flakiness and the like. This gives you a prompt to get everything backed up and secure.

SSD's don't.

They simply stop working all of a sudden. Stone-motherless dead. Dead as a dodo.

SSD's are quick and reliable but when they decide it is time to go, don't expect any warning or any chance of recovery.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitz View Post
    May I suggest that if you are using Solid-State Drives (SSD) then you make sure your back up and recovery practices are thorough and well managed?

Magnetic platter drives (SATA, IDE etc) tend to give hints that they are about to fail - lost sectors, bad blocks, general flakiness and the like. This gives you a prompt to get everything backed up and secure.

SSD's don't.

They simply stop working all of a sudden. Stone-motherless dead. Dead as a dodo.

SSD's are quick and reliable but when they decide it is time to go, don't expect any warning or any chance of recovery.

Good point, I'm going to be investing in a couple of new 3Tb external hard drives for backing up purposes.

Funny thing is, the two Sata HDs that failed gave me no warning at all, the S.M.A.R.T. was enabled for both, but no problems were reported up until they failed, fortunately I didn't lose much data since I had done my backing up.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-05-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Jump online and have a look at Qnap products, I used a 4 bay one as a NAS in my lab prior to retirement and I believe that five years on it's still chugging away.

Mine was fibre connected but they have other options available

Going to be ordering my new 1Tb SSD hard drives next week so it'll be the dawn of a new era for me, no more traditional mechanical hard drives, had quite a few go bad without any warning, and I think the 60Gb IDE hard drive I'm using in my Windows 98SE gaming pc build is on the way out too, seriously thinking of buying an IDE to SD card adaptor on eBay for it so I can use 32Gb SD cards instead, Windows 98SE is a bit picky abut the size of the hard drive it's being installed on, although you can enable large hard drive support during the installation process, yes I know Windows 98SE is an outdated, archaic, operating system that Microsoft no longer supports, but it runs Dos based games better than Dosbox, which can sometimes have issues.

Of course I will be buying some new external hard drives for backing up purposes, just in case, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Update:

Finally got the new 1Tb SSD hard drives ordered for my studio pc, now it's just a case of sitting back and waiting till they arrive in the post, I bought four of them, three will be installed in the studio pc and the fourth one will be installed in my laptop since they are all 2.5" types, the drive bays in my studio pc have plastic inserts with mounting holes for 2.5" hard drives so installing them won't be a problem, they also come with Sata power and data connection ports.....a new era is just beginning for me.

Might post a series of pics of me installing the SSD drives in my studio PC when they arrive so you can see the process, I'm doing some online googling to learn how to do the installation properly.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 08-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Update:

Just got an email notification saying that the four 1Tb 2.5" SSD drives I ordered have been sent in the post, it's just a case of waiting till they are delivered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast