Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DP First Build

Looking good mate, well drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I had to do it and unfortunately you can't practice shaping the headstock. No disasters - bit of rasping and sanding needed to fix the odd ugly corner. That little curve is a real pain - fits the theme pretty well without being an exact tele

I'm coming to enjoy sanding -no real risks attached

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	31216

I also routed out a bit more under the 4 way switch - not a lot of room to move there

First coat of primer. Had forgotten that spray painting requires a bit of technique - Thank the lord for sandpaper.

Name:	IMG_2210.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	31273

And whoops - forgot about my nice black screws - luckily i have black metal paint

Name:	IMG_2212.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	31274

Hi

slightly refined the headstock

Name:	IMG_2228.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	31289

Getting there - body primed - had forgotten I was going to paint the headstock so it needs a couple more coats

Name:	IMG_2243.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	31432

Name:	IMG_2244.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	31433

Nice one, it痴 coming along really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't get happy with my string through ferrule holes. When I did a test run they weren't straight - not out by much but enough to cause an itch.

Filled them and redid the guide holes - made a perfect jig to drill the holes - no problem (the universe loves this sort of confidence)

Managed somehow to get the body off level when drilling one of the guide holes. Ok we can cope - just need a new jig.

Make jig - test drill, Make new jig - test drill - make new jig - test drill

we have:

Name:	IMG_2255.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	31588

Hole that looks a bit rough is fine and covered by the ferrule.

Next build thoughts:

Not string through;
    wildly staggered maybe even free form;
    Use my still perfect unused first jig.

I'm learning - head hurts a bit.

David

Hi

Drilled out the fretboard markers.

Will be colouring neck with dingo tone bloodwood which should give me the contrast needed for the red abalone dots.

Otherwise it will be a statement ie I don't like/need fret markers

Side dots more of a challenge they are small and also don't line up. I'm replacing them with 2.35mm which should allow me to get them lined up properly hmmm might use the drill press for that.

In picture 1 - in checking whether the dot would fit I got it stuck so had to proceed - didn't need glue.

Should I leave the rest until after I colour the neck? shouldn't be an issue either way?

Name:	IMG_2264.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	31667

Name:	IMG_2265.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	31668

Sorry not to have posted. Have a few things going on ie life.

Had ideas of doing a swirl finish - (the web makes things look easy.) Did a few test runs which turned out ok. Carved a trolling bird and swirled it

Name:	smallbird1.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	34302

But as I tried bigger things it became clear that this was a technique that required a whole next level of skill. Also when I clear coated there was a nasty reaction with the paint
    So fall back option is to paint the body Blue (Other half has some say in this)

Name:	Body1.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	34303

Have been struggling to get a decent finish - nearly there - Next build will be dyed or natural
    I had read a tip which was to swirl the back of a clear guard. I did a couple of test runs and couldn't get a decent effect so another idea.
    Cut a pick guard out of .3mm copper. Gives me a canvas and shielding. Remember I still have a clear guard and am determined to use it.

Name:	IMG_2618.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	34304

Decided to give this a go. Guitar colour base with red glitter over the top.

Name:	IMG_2619.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	34305

This has a bit of a chameleon effect.

Decided to do the head stock as well - Its my first build - lots of thinking with no experience.Will skip to the end as I don't have any images of the in between steps.
    Painted it, cleaned up the little bits that leaked through the masking tape. Couple of coats of single pack clear to protect it a bit.
    Taking too long to finish - able to get new ideas. Found metal letters so can add my initials. Added to head stock. Managed to rub some of the red glitter off when cleaning up around the initials. Partner said it was too obvious. Easy fix - hit it with a bit of red.
    Partner says - way too red. Easy fix - just repaint.
    Masked it up - know how to do this now. Hit it with the blue then immediately the red glitter. Strange things began to happen - realised there was an incompatibility between the Dulux Blue and Rust-Oleum Red Glitter. Then remembered that when i painted it originally I had allowed a break of an hour or so. However I like this as an effect The crazing effect is over the headstock and shows up more clearly in shots at different angles and lighting.

Name:	headstock1.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	34306

Can't attach any more pictures will do in another post - this also looks different shades of blue and red depending on the angle and light. Hopefully next post will be an assembled guitar.

David

I think you致e invented a pretty cool paint effect on that headstock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast