Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build #3 - FV-1

Build #3 - FV-1

Hi all. Long time no see.

Received my FV-1 kit from PitBull today. After It taking weeks to get to VIC, like every other package passing through Aus Posts hands.

This is my 3rd build. So a quick history.

First was an IB-7? Ibanez 7 string copy.. I loved that guitar. It was was stock everything, apart from some Dimarzio pickups. Hand stained and oiled. The neck was perfect. Being a beginner, I didn't do any fret work on it. It was near perfect - very playable.. However after around a year or so, the body where the Floyd Rose posts go, collapsed.. Tried to fix, but it was trash.

Second was a Tele build.. I took some time with this one, and spent some fair money upgrading the parts. Wilkinson bridge, tuners, Emerson wiring harness etc etc. Sounded lush. But the neck. It was never great. I tried my hand at leveling and crowing, but seriously I think I just made it worse.

Enter my third build. FV-1.

Being in lock-down i'm having trouble buying stain online.. So I decided I would try some handmade stain.. I'm going to attempt a tobacco burst, with Turmeric and instant coffee

That's about it for today. I've sanded her down, check neck pocket, and started with the first coat of yellow (turmeric). I might add another coat of base turmeric I made up, and then maybe do the middle out with coffee.. then keep doing the outer edges with just coffee.

I also found an old ebony stain pen, and took to the fretboard top darken it.. Looks a bit trashy in the photo, but once I stain and oil the neck, it should clean up nice.

Heres some pics.. Until next time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200904_161854-scaled-e1599203122585.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	37245

Name:	20200904_163653-scaled-e1599203148353.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	37246

Name:	20200904_163709-scaled-e1599203158308.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	37247

Cool, interested to see how the coffee goes.
    I'd have gone for very strong black tea over coffee because of the way it can leave a stain on tea cups & even the stainless steel sink but the coffee doesn't.
    You are on a winner with the turmeric because it will stain the stainless steel sink & knife blades.
    Cliff

So yeah, the coffee is really hard to get results. It basically disappeared after it dried.

I was concerned about wetting the body too much too. If water penetrated the wood too much, maybe the moisture would stay?

So as I said before, I had assumed I can't buy stain online. Went back on the bunnings site, and now all those products are available for click and collect. So just ordered some stain and oil.

Cool idea with the tumeric. I have successfully stained wood with coffee (even instant coffee), the trick is to use as little water and as much coffee as possible. Either very strong espresso or instant coffee that gets so thick it's almost syrupy. The cheapest stuff works the best. (You know, that stuff you wouldn't even drink for money.)
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Nice one. I built an FV-1 as a gift for a friend - https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10063. Was never really a big fan until I built that. Now I want one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    Cool idea with the tumeric. I have successfully stained wood with coffee (even instant coffee), the trick is to use as little water and as much coffee as possible. Either very strong espresso or instant coffee that gets so thick it's almost syrupy. The cheapest stuff works the best. (You know, that stuff you wouldn't even drink for money.)
    Ended up attempting a few coats.. Made it nice and syrupy this time.. Unfortunately it got a bit sticky. Ended up sanding most off.

I liked the turmeric though. Hoping i can successfully do a burst finish. Picking up some stain and boiled linseed oil tomorrow, so will continue to try the burst with turmeric and actual stain.

Until next time.

To do a burst with stain, you definitely need to work with both colour stains wet at the same time so they can blend at the edges. Always worth practicing on scrap wood first.

What kind of coffee are you using? Sticky sounds like it has either grains or sugar added...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    What kind of coffee are you using? Sticky sounds like it has either grains or sugar added...
    Ah it was really cheap.. I think I may have put too much on though.

Anyway, I ended up picking up some stain and oil from Bunnings, and pretty much gave up on the homemade stains.

Im always pretty impatient with these sorts of things. I always say to myself - "Take you time".. But ive put the stain down already, and started with a coat of oil. I decided to go boiled linseed oil and mineral turpentine - 50/50 blend.

Part of the basswood really took the stain. Others didnt. Also the joins are very apparent... Im all good though. It adds to the appeal.

Ive been looking at more photos of Flying Vs.. Found Gibson done a 68 in Walnut. Thing is it has a white guard. Looks so nice... However as I placed the blackguard on the body - Im thinking I should just go my own style, and thought gold hardware might look good.. Ive never really liked gold hardware, but think walnut, black and gold might look nice.

Anyway. Heres some pics.. Will continue to add oil over the coming week.

Name:	20200906_174345-scaled-e1599378943541.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	37270

Name:	20200906_174403-scaled-e1599378967494.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	37271

Name:	20200906_174428-scaled-e1599378913391.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	37272
    Last edited by Plainfaced; 06-09-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Yes, looks good so far! I think the gold will be a great choice with the dark stain and black pickguard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast