Thread: Help with Wiring

Help with Wiring

Hey Guys,

I've just finished wiring my guitar and it's got the most horrible earth hum.

It's a 7 string H-H configuration with 3 way toggle and one pot. I have used Entwistle Dark Star pickups (an upgrade option) rather than the pickups supplied with the kit. Following the diagram I downloaded from the Pit Bull website, it only referenced the white wire as being the "hot" wire. However, the red and white were soldered together. There also a green and black wire which are not mentioned at all.

Should I have used the red/white instead of just the white and should the green and black be used as well?

The wire colors are different for different pickups. The "hot" wire goes to the switch. I think with the stock pickups that's white, but with Entwhistles it's black.

The black wire goes to the switch. The green wire should go to ground (earth). The white and red should be soldered together. They are just there so that you can install a coil tap or series parallel or phase switch. But they come soldered together from the factory for series humbucking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hey David,

From the Entwistle website, it looks like they follow the same wiring colour code as Seymour Duncans - that being:

Green = "South" coil ground
    Red = "South" coil hot
    White = "North" coil ground
    Black = "North" coil hot

Unless you're wanting to do coil taps or splits, wire the green to earth, wire red and white together, then run black to hot output. They might also have a shielded sleeve wire that also goes to earth.

Here's the manufacturer's guide: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/asse...%2520Guide.pdf

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Fender3x & G-Axe

Thanks for your help lads. I'll sort it tomorrow now

Can I also connect all of the earth wires together on the toggle switch?

Ignore that last question. Apparently "yes" is the right answer. It now sounds perfect with the only hum coming from my shitty little prac amp

The simple answer is "yes" as you know.

It doesn't usually matter, but the more complex answer is that all the stuff that gets grounded should have just one path to the jack. More than one path can lead to something called a "ground loop." That can cause hum too, I think, although i don't think I have ever had a problem with one. My grounding problems have been simpler...either I forgot to ground something, or I grounded something I should not have ;-)