Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GHQ-1M - Pinky

Looking forward to seeing this one complete.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks Fretworn, almost there, coulda been there last night but well when do things ever go perfectly to plan.

So all the hardware is on now, and I'm really pleased with how it looks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190909_200846 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	32124

Name:	IMG_20190909_200856 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	32125

I did mention offhand that I'd stained the back of the neck purple in one of my previous posts, but this is the first picture I've popped up. Since I used pink on it first it ended up a lighter purple than the body, which I am totally happy with, it still looks nice to me.

Name:	IMG_20190909_200900 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	32126

Now, no strings on it at the moment because while I was grappling with understanding this (to me) completely alien bridge and nut system, I was trying to lock down the low strings and I'm not totally sure if I crossthreaded the screw or if it was just the metal isn't very solid, but I stripped the thread of the nut. I've ordered a replacement for it and I'll be a bit more careful with it. Hoping I don't have to resort to completely redoing things to fit a new type of nut on, but we'll see what happens.

Actually might be useful to comment on the stains too.

Now that I've used these, I wouldn't say I don't recommend them, but there's some caveats with it all.

The way that the stain feels to apply, it kind of feels like it sits on top and doesn't penetrate the wood very well. With the Pink it worked fine because it was a light colour and the figure was able to shine through well. The purple though, there was a good few rivers of figure throughout the fretboard and the back wood, but none of that really came through at all, it was all just a deep purple.

But in saying that, I don't think that's strictly a bad thing. I think if you've got a less interesting wood or something that you want to get a more solid colour on (like it was with the back of mine) then I'd say go ahead. The stains are nice to work with, the colours that I got were really nice, plus there's a whole whole heap of colours available, and I do possibly have plans to use some of the others in future. Some cool Pearlescent and Metallic ones are available that I suspect could look pretty good honestly.

But yea, I'm happy with how it turned out, but they're definitely not gonna be ideal for every project.

The purple is a nice shade, even if it covered some grain!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    The purple is a nice shade, even if it covered some grain!
    Yea definitely can't complain about the shades, happy with that part for sure!

Got the replacement nut today, and got strings on there safely, but looks like the nut is sitting up a bit, and not pulling the B and high E strings down on the Zero fret properly. I'll have to pull it back off in the morning and see if filing the shelf down a bit will do the job, or if I'll have to fill and re-drill a hole.

Alright, tried to shim and do a little bit of filing and so on to try and get the nut sitting properly, but no luck. So re-drilling it is gonna be the go. Got it all set up, just waiting on it to dry now.

I really like the way the purple came out on the back of the neck.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by PJSprog View Post
    I really like the way the purple came out on the back of the neck.
    Thanks PJ! Happy with it too!!

I think we're all done now!! Had a bit of an issue with the grounding but sorted now. Had a wire heading to the bridge, and ran it under the bridge plate, but the connection there wasn't doing the job, so soldered it on to the corner of the plate. Looks a little sloppy, but it's not right up front and it saved having to take it apart at all haha

Name:	IMG_20190922_220109 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	32247

And a couple outdoor shots

Name:	IMG_20190921_172514 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	32248

Name:	IMG_20190921_172523 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	32249

Name:	IMG_20190921_172529 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	32250

I think that's about it! Happy with how the pickups are sounding in it too. Overall, quite happy with the build

9. Liked by: PJSprog

What’s it like playability wise?
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I'm going to have to preface my comment with damn you too. I didn't realise he had a headless kit either. Now I gotta get one.
    Love the stain work all except the back which is just a tiny bit dark for me but that's a personal thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast