Thread: DIY Scratch Build Matchless Hotbox Project.

DIY Scratch Build Matchless Hotbox Project.

Hey Everyone,

This year, I've got a new pedal build project scheduled, as you might know from the title it's going to be a diy scratch-build of a Matchless Hotbox Tube Overdrive pedal that uses two 12AX7 Tubes, the circuitry is going to be built on at least one of the 28 X 2 tagboards I recently bought from Evatco.

I did a quick search on Google and have managed to find a good set of build instructions, as well as a schematic and layout that I can work with, should be a fun project.

Just a quick warning, the Matchless Hotbox is a High Voltage tube overdrive pedal that's different to a lot of usual tube overdrive pedals you see being commercially manufactured, like the Tube Driver designed by Mr Brent K Butler, or the Tubeworks Blue Tube, these are designs that run the tubes at a relatively low voltage, the Matchless Hotbox uses two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes and runs them at about 250V DC, 250V DC is pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, at best you might give yourself a nasty electric shock, at worse you may end up killing yourself if high voltage current goes across your chest and through your heart, so I'd suggest do some reading about how to safely work on high-voltage electronic circuitry first before attempting to build one of these Matchless Hotboxes.

One forum member that you could get in contact with to ask about building high voltage electronic tube circuitry safely is Marcel, he knows a good deal more about it than I probably do.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-05-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Wow. I had been wanting to build one of these pedals.. Where are you sourcing the components from? Is it Like a BYO kit?

Drashkum

Sent from my NE2211 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drashkum View Post
    Wow. I had been wanting to build one of these pedals.. Where are you sourcing the components from? Is it Like a BYO kit?

Drashkum

Sent from my NE2211 using Tapatalk
    No kit, it's a complete scratch build, meaning I'm going to be buying all the parts and etc to build it, making the case, designing the tagboard layout and etc, I will have quite a few 28 X 2 tagboards left over from my diy scratch build Sloclone 50 amp build, and seeing as I've always wanted one, I thought having a go at scratch-building a Matchless Hotbox would be a fun project, most of the parts I'll need will be sourced from this website:

www.evatco.com

I will be doing a build tutorial in this thread as I progress with the build, just in case other forum members are interested in building one for themselves.

Update:

Managed to come up with a suitable Tagboard layout for the majority of the circuit for the Matchless Hotbox build.

Thank you for your advise, that is awesome work
    Hello, if you happen to love candle making&DIY related subject, please check out my blog dedicated to DIY lover:
    Candle making Starts here