Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TL-1 first kit build

First coat!

Today, after a quick test and drilling all the necessary holes, I started to paint the body.

Due to schoolwork and other duties, I didn’t get to do much. In fact I’ve only done the first coat of primer which I’m going to sand off to find any hollow spots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9D923A8-5AC7-42AD-8F84-06AB80345958.jpeg 
Views:	263 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	31163

One problem I’ve discovered is the pickguard doesn’t line up completely. If I line it up with the neck, there’s a big gap on the other side. If I line the control panel up, there’s a gap around the neck. Is this a common thing? Is it supposed to be like this? At the moment I’m going to leave it and see if it’s noticable once the body is the same colour.

Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Diggydude View Post

One problem I’ve discovered is the pickguard doesn’t line up completely. If I line it up with the neck, there’s a big gap on the other side.
    Dylan
    Yes. The pick-up route is a centimeter further south than a standard Fender Telecaster.
    This is why the standard telecaster pick-guard has the extra gap.
    On mine the fretboard was 5mm shorter at the high end which also exacerbates the issue.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...King%27s+TL-1R

I had already drilled the string-through holes so re-locating the bridge was out of the question.
    I had to cut a custom scratch plate to cover the extra territory.
    Since I decided on a different finish, I also re-routed some of the control cavity further back
    to compensate for it's forward position.

cheers, Mark.

It's also worth noting that the kit bridge is closer in design to the Squier.
    The squier bridge has an extra centimeter at the tail end so you could compensate somewhat by measuring scale length with the high 'E' forwards towards the end of it's travel.

cheers Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Yes. The pick-up route is a centimeter further south than a standard Fender Telecaster.
    This is why the standard telecaster pick-guard has the extra gap.
    On mine the fretboard was 5mm shorter at the high end which also exacerbates the issue.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...King%27s+TL-1R

I had already drilled the string-through holes so re-locating the bridge was out of the question.
    I had to cut a custom scratch plate to cover the extra territory.
    Since I decided on a different finish, I also re-routed some of the control cavity further back
    to compensate for it's forward position.

cheers, Mark.
    Ahh ok.

I reckon I’ll have to cut one but I’m not going to do that now, I’ll just arrange it the best possible and leave it. When I do this I’ll probably cut space for a humbucker because I didn’t know there a rout big enough for it so I didn’t get one to begin with.

Painting

Hello,

Over the weekend I’ve been doing some painting. Lots of painting.

I sprayed in the primer and lost track of the coats. All I know is that I used the entire can. Same thing with the base coat. It went fairly well, there was minimal running.

Name:	9F3AA8D7-0529-49AA-BBE4-6B31CCA541BE.jpeg 
Views:	259 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	31220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5822C11F-4852-4459-BDC4-B1BCCBFA8B1F.jpeg 
Views:	255 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	31221

As you can see I developed a bit of a reflection which will become better next weekend when I spray the clear coat.

All in all, a productive weekend.

Dylan

Nice one Dylan, you’ve done well mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done

Hello again,

Thanks to the long weekend, I finished my first build!

Name:	8CEEE774-D62B-45CD-BAB6-097AE1A6C60F.jpeg 
Views:	275 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	31282

It came together nicely and once I’m done typing this I’m going to start doing all the fine tuning (although it plays nicely already). I showed it off at school and it had a great reception.

This won’t be the last of my, I plan to make atleast one more and I want to make one for an art project at school.

Thanks for all the help,
    Dylan

They’re a bit like chips, it’s hard to stop at one. Well done, looks great!

Well done Dylan that looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3