Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: My first PBG TLA-1 build

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by I’ll give it a go View Post
    No pics today but I’ve had a crap weekend painting my guitar body.
    Applying the final clear coats to it and I kept getting foreign debris in the finish. I had to keep sanding it back and went too far, totally screwed it.
    So sanded it all back both sides, bought more paint and sprayed again yesterday 3 coats. I’m going to leave this now as we are off camping next weekend to white gum farm. I will then try the clear coat one more time after that. It will be what it will be, I’ll turn it into a relic if I have to. Oooossaaaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know that pain, you've seen my build thread for my TL kit. I hope for your sake you are luckier than I am and also that you aren't as much of a perfectionist as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I know that pain, you've seen my build thread for my TL kit. I hope for your sake you are luckier than I am and also that you aren't as much of a perfectionist as I am.
    I think that is why I am where I am, trying to have it too perfect.

Been a while since I’ve posted due to work commitments.
    This post has been a worts an all so far so here goes.
    After my clear coat failures I decided to tru coat it. I tested on some timber and it worked out well.
    On the guitar body not so well, due to the large surface area the application over the paint shows up. Of course the replies will be obviously cause it’s paint, it doesn’t seep into the wood. But on my test it was perfect.
    Anyway I decided to carry on and see what happens. This is all a learning process for myself and others in the future who read this.

It does have a nice shine, but in certain angles you can see where the tru oil has been applied. Even though I used little pieces of lint free cloth it still did not come out lint free. I even used 0000 wire wool that smoothed a little bit on the next application it was back. So I can still feel little bits of lint.

Moving on I’m now in the process of slowly putting this guitar together. Can I also say that putting on the copper shield is not as easy as you think it is.

Here are my pics so far.

My first PBG TLA-1 build

Had a big day today, finished soldering and put the whole thing together. It’s not perfect but I’m very happy so far.
    It still needs tuning and intonation, that will have to wait.

5. Liked by: Thunderbird

Good going, how’s it sounding in it’s current state?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Good going, how’s it sounding in it’s current state?
    It doesn’t sound like anything yet DarkMark, the strings aren’t that tight yet. I’d spent most of the day on it and I was starting to get vibes off the missus so I quit while I was ahead. I’ll try to tune it in the week but I have a busy work week with bosses coming over from the eastern states .
    At least it’s built now which I’m happy with .

The finish on the neck looks great. Is that a tru-oil finish? If so, what sanding and application steps did you take?

Quote Originally Posted by aido78 View Post
    The finish on the neck looks great. Is that a tru-oil finish? If so, what sanding and application steps did you take?
    Yes it is mate, Tru oil all the way. I think I used 240 initially as there were machine marks on it. Then went to 800. I then just coat with Tru Oil and waited a day them 0000 wire wool if I could feel bits, rinse and repeat. I did the same with the headstock.

brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by I’ll give it a go View Post
    rinse and repeat.
    Looks fantastic especially for a first build.
    What did you rinse it with?

cheers, Mark.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast