Thread: Second Build - TLA

Second Build - TLA

Started work on my second build.

Did a mock build first, everything looks good and in place. Shaped the headstock, using a standard telecaster template.

Now I’ve started finishing the body. I have a ‘rustic ash’ strat, a special edition fender from a few years back. My aim is to recreate that finish, this time in green, so I have a matching pair. Using rustoleum ‘rustic sage’ furniture stain. Found at Bunnings. Comes out somewhere between a paint and a stain, which is just what I was hoping. Still see plenty of grain underneath. Might go for another coat or two still, just even it all up.

Last image is the strat I have, that I’m attempting to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Liked by: Thunderbird

Nice, good luck.

Finishes shaping the neck and applied some finish. In the first build I did - I used the acacia neck finish kit - but it came out far more orange that anticipated. So this time I skipped the colour stain stage and used used a bunch of coats of the final finish coats. It’s darkened the wood up just a touch - which is exactly what I wanted. I think I’ll use this approach every time in the future.

Looking nice.

Nice, looks like Kiesels "rawtone" finish. I personally like the opaque color where you can still see the grain.