Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: My first PBG TLA-1 build

Quote Originally Posted by I’ll give it a go View Post
    OMG this guitar is testing me, while applying the another coat of clear I’ve now noticed a different colour coming through. WTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being a beginner like you I have no idea - I hope you can work it out though

I had been thinking that if mine turns really bad in patches it can always get some relic-ing done on it and I can say that was my plan all along

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    Being a beginner like you I have no idea - I hope you can work it out though

I had been thinking that if mine turns really bad in patches it can always get some relic-ing done on it and I can say that was my plan all along

Good luck.
    I was thinking that also, but I’m going to accept it for what it is. Warts an all. It’s my first build it will remind me for next time what not to do.

3. Liked by: Thunderbird

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I’ll give it a go View Post
    OMG this guitar is testing me, while applying the another coat of clear I’ve now noticed a different colour coming through. WTF.

Oh boy. This is nitro right? I haven't used it before so not 100% sure but that looks like a bit of pigment that wasn't fully mixed in, putting the clear on may have 'reactivated' it and brought it to the surface. Annoying, but not super noticeable.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Oh boy. This is nitro right? I haven't used it before so not 100% sure but that looks like a bit of pigment that wasn't fully mixed in, putting the clear on may have 'reactivated' it and brought it to the surface. Annoying, but not super noticeable.

Yeah sounds about right, it’s reactivated something I think I’m going to leave it and carry on. Gonna leave it all this week, sand it back just a little and apply the rest of the can. Then leave to cure for a few weeks.

Mentor
    Did you use the colorspec for both the colour and the clear?? The colourspec is an Acrylic but Sonic's comment about Nitro made me wonder whether you had used a different brand for the colour and ended up mixing a Nitro colour coat with the Acrylic clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Did you use the colorspec for both the colour and the clear?? The colourspec is an Acrylic but Sonic's comment about Nitro made me wonder whether you had used a different brand for the colour and ended up mixing a Nitro colour coat with the Acrylic clear coat.

I used the same colour spec brands.
    Although I sanded back the clear on the same day because of 0000 wool in the clear coat, I then sprayed again in the afternoon. I think that is where I came unstuck. I should have left it another day, it caused a reaction somewhere.

I can safely say this Tele will be unique . And it will be all mine, it won’t be perfect, but it will be mine to play.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah I think I got it confused with another build and was too lazy to scroll back through the thread. I haven't used that brand either, so not sure. Anyway, always a pretty steep learning curve on your first build.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    ...that looks like a bit of pigment that wasn't fully mixed in, putting the clear on may have 'reactivated' it and brought it to the surface...
    That would be my guess as well. It's one of the perils of rattle can finishing IME.
    I've had it happen and the only fix I found is re-spraying it. You don't need to sand it all the way back, just shoot the base colour over it, then re-coat with your clear.
    It can be done as a spot repair but that can be tricky with spray cans. I did it once by re-applying the colour coat in the affected area; levelling it out with 1200; then re-spraying the entire thing with my clear.

Like I said, it *can* be done, but not always easy.

That'll be 2 cents, please
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That would be my guess as well. It's one of the perils of rattle can finishing IME.
    I've had it happen and the only fix I found is re-spraying it. You don't need to sand it all the way back, just shoot the base colour over it, then re-coat with your clear.
    It can be done as a spot repair but that can be tricky with spray cans. I did it once by re-applying the colour coat in the affected area; levelling it out with 1200; then re-spraying the entire thing with my clear.

Like I said, it *can* be done, but not always easy.

That'll be 2 cents, please
    Thanks guys, it’s very much appreciated, I might give that a go.

No pics today but I’ve had a crap weekend painting my guitar body.
    Applying the final clear coats to it and I kept getting foreign debris in the finish. I had to keep sanding it back and went too far, totally screwed it.
    So sanded it all back both sides, bought more paint and sprayed again yesterday 3 coats. I’m going to leave this now as we are off camping next weekend to white gum farm. I will then try the clear coat one more time after that. It will be what it will be, I’ll turn it into a relic if I have to. Oooossaaaa

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast