Thread: FS-1 "Starcaster" My Second Build Are there bridge position issues with my kit?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FS-1 "Starcaster" My Second Build Are there bridge position issues with my kit?

Just kicking off my second build.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starcaster fitup.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	30898

Just did a bit of a test fit and measured up the bridge position.

Am I the only one that feels there seems to be some accuracy issues withe the positioning of these?

12th fret is 312.5mm The very top edge of the supplied bridge sits at about 624.5 mm.

Note: This is not the top edge of the saddles but the top edge of the tunomatic bridge assembly.

Presuming that I want the same length from 12th to bridge center as I do from nut to 12th this feels like the bridge post holes have been drilled about 3-5mm too far from the 12th fret. Which means it will never intonate properly.

Note: There is no way to move the neck any further towards the bridge because the neck pup binding is already tight AF to the neck.

I had the same problem on my first build. It is a JMA-1. Fortunately I was able to use longer bolts for the bridge saddles which enabled me to make the strings 5mm shorter on the high end and get them to intonate.

The other problem is the holes are spaced about 1-1.5mm too far apart so if I pressed them in all the way the bridge would never fit on the posts. I would actually prefer that the holes were not drilled at all if they can't be drilled accurately.

I am probably going to fill the drilled holes with dowels and redrill for smaller posts from a roller bridge I was planning to use as a replacement.

Im not a luthier so I might have this all wrong and would happily stand corrected.

If I am incorrect in my assessment please feel free to wise me up before I go and make a mess of this by filling in those holes and re-drilling.

I am always happy to learn.
    Last edited by Steev3d; 22-04-2019 at 09:55 AM.