Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Build - TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post

If it all goes pear shaped then I will add a post to the forum about 'Relic-ing my kit guitar' and say it was my plan all along.
    That would be a shame considering the cabbage you paid for the paint.

I used Timbermate to fill around some gaps when I re-dowelled my Squier neck.
    I left it to dry for ages and sanded it nice and smooth.
    It didn't shrink until after the paint had dried, so it was the paint that triggered the shrinkage.

FWIW most of what I point out on this forum tends to pan out as complete bollocks (I've adjusted for that in my avatar) so hopefully
    you can safely disregard my input.

cheers, Mark.

2. Liked by: I値l give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    Attachment 30591

Two coats of sanding sealer have been applied. Now the serious sanding can begin.
    Have you found when sanding the sealer that the heat from the friction when sanding seems to melt or I go like a wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I値l give it a go View Post
    Have you found when sanding the sealer that the heat from the friction when sanding seems to melt or I go like a wax?

I sure did. I noticed it flaked off the paper fairly easily but I think I went through paper faster than usual when cutting through the initial layer - it would clog up pretty fast.

I suppose that when this is used in more typical cases it would get cut back with 80 grit paper using a sander so would not be as noticeable.

5. Liked by: I値l give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    That would be a shame considering the cabbage you paid for the paint.

I used Timbermate to fill around some gaps when I re-dowelled my Squier neck.
    I left it to dry for ages and sanded it nice and smooth.
    It didn't shrink until after the paint had dried, so it was the paint that triggered the shrinkage.

FWIW most of what I point out on this forum tends to pan out as complete bollocks (I've adjusted for that in my avatar) so hopefully
    you can safely disregard my input.

cheers, Mark.
    Thanks for taking the time in any case Mark - I really appreciate your input

If it turns bad then we will look for a solution on the next one

Suppapuffin,

How much would you or did you sand back the grain filler?
    I致e put 3 coats on mine now, then lightly and slowly used 1200 grit to make sure I didn稚 over heat the grain filler. It feels really smooth, now wondering if I should start the primer.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_m1...ature=youtu.be

couple of things in your video the TL-1 has a basswood body it doesn't need a grain fill and timber mate should never be used under a painted finish (lacquer & nitro 2k) it will draw out the reducer and swell and shrink back badly and for ages it will keep doing it, been reading some of the reply's and a lot are just plain wrong, if your using a sanding sealer there isn't a need to grain fill that's what its for i have done over 50 builds and i haven't used timber mate on any of them, i think people who do kits go on youtube and watch vids of guys who haven't a clue what their doing and 1st time builder think its gospel and its not. Before anyone uses any product know how to use it and on wood know about the wood your trying to cover

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_m1...ature=youtu.be

couple of things in your video the TL-1 has a basswood body it doesn't need a grain fill and timber mate should never be used under a painted finish (lacquer & nitro 2k) it will draw out the reducer and swell and shrink back badly and for ages it will keep doing it, been reading some of the reply's and a lot are just plain wrong, if your using a sanding sealer there isn't a need to grain fill that's what its for i have done over 50 builds and i haven't used timber mate on any of them, i think people who do kits go on youtube and watch vids of guys who haven't a clue what their doing and 1st time builder think its gospel and its not. Before anyone uses any product know how to use it and on wood know about the wood your trying to cover
    I致e realised I致e wrote down the wrong thing, I have used sanding sealer. Only when reading your post did I realise DER!!

How much should I sand this back now?

After an extended break due to work commitments I have finally sprayed on the first coat of nitro primer.

To say the fumes from it are strong is an understatement - I am glad I bought a good respirator before spraying but I got quite a shock when I took the mask off at the end

Will send some photos once I have sanded back.

11. Liked by: I値l give it a go

Hi everyone,

I am a little bit behind in the videos showing where I am up to - I have done a couple of coats of primer and am really happy with how that is coming along now.

This is the playlist with the latest video - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DZ6aiFTH6CpQdD

This shows more of the surface prep after applying the grain filler.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice on the grain filler - I am hoping that will be ok - after sanding it right back it is a very fine layer so will see how we go. Any problems I have had in the past have been where it was applied too thick and couldnt set because it sealed itself against the air. However, if it goes pear-shaped then it will be a cautionary tale for everyone else.

Final coat of primer has been applied - now it just needs to sit for a week and think about what it's done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele post primer 2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	31222

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast