Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: My First Build - TLA-1

That sounds like a great idea - like you I think the natural finish will be the go - especially if you find a great piece of timber.

I would like to build one from scratch next - another Tele with relief cuts in it but will a MusicMan style headstock (4 tuners on top and 2 below) - trying to get a piece of Queensland Maple for the purpose

Like you say though - there is only so much time in the day.....

Hi everyone - I put together a video talking about the mistakes that I made and some of the lessons that I learned along the way whilst building my Tele kit. Hopefully it will be of value to some of you who are currently dealing with some of the same issues.

There is a lot still to learn but my thanks again to all the support I got from the other builders here along the way.

3. Liked by: JohnH

I have to agree that you have to witness the mistakes first hand to learn from them.

Also I can't remember who pointed it out (could have been FW?) but after discarding the black plastic 'washer' under the neck plate, I was able to tighten up slight gaps in the neck pocket.

cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the reminder - I will take the washer off at the first string change and see what happens

Otherwise it can remain as 'character'

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    Thanks for the reminder - I will take the washer off at the first string change and see what happens

Otherwise it can remain as 'character'
    You have more patience than me.
    I just slackened the strings, removed the plate, discarded the plastic and re-tightened it.

cheers, Mark.

It's a great looking guitar. I really enjoyed the video too - there are so many little things that go wrong with these builds, but it's all part of the fun!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Thanks a lot

Hopefully after another 15 or 20 builds I will start to iron out the kinks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7