Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Build - TLA-1

Look what arrived this morning

Quote Originally Posted by I値l give it a go View Post
    Nice choice of colour, that痴 what I was originally going for but found it difficult to get the right colour at the right price.
    Might end up going for a very light blue now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had exactly the same thoughts about the price of the paint. The way I justified it to myself was thinking if this turns out to be my one and only guitar build then I want it to be a colour that I will always be very happy with.

Which just goes to show that you can justify anything to yourself if you think hard enough about it.

Hopefully it will work out well. Apparently it is best to leave it to cure for up to a month after the final coat so we will have to wait a while for the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    I had exactly the same thoughts about the price of the paint. The way I justified it to myself was thinking if this turns out to be my one and only guitar build then I want it to be a colour that I will always be very happy with.

Which just goes to show that you can justify anything to yourself if you think hard enough about it.
    Ha ha you got me looking at Surf Green again last night. Looks like I知 trying to justify the cost again to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely want to leave it a month minimum. I致e used that exact brand once before and even after a month the paint was still quite gummy. Also don稚 put it in the sun to accelerate the drying. I managed to get some small bubbles in mine from that.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy17 View Post
    Also don稚 put it in the sun to accelerate the drying. I managed to get some small bubbles in mine from that.
    This is good advice for any rattle can, acrylic and poly. Direct sunlight is a really bad idea as you discovered.

To speed things up the best thing is a fan, even a gentle breeze will move the solvents away from the surface, allowing the remaining thinners to also work their way out of the finish.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Hi again,

I have done a new post on YouTube of the progress I have made with the Tele kit build in the last little while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYu3ZYTlJY

I was ready for this as I got interested in kit building but you when you start work on it you want to be ready for plenty of sanding. I think going through a process like this means you will have the most enjoyment of the experience when you get to the end. I have resisted the temptation to use the orbital sander for this reason - though I suspect this will be the only time that occurs.

7. Liked by: emuflats

Thanks for posting the video 👍🏻

My pleasure. Thanks a lot for watching.

Thanks a lot to you both. I think I will hang it in the back of the shed with the door open to keep the air moving and just forget about it for a while. I think I will be able to start work on build 2 in the meantime anyway so that痴 a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    Thanks a lot to you both. I think I will hang it in the back of the shed with the door open to keep the air moving and just forget about it for a while. I think I will be able to start work on build 2 in the meantime anyway so that痴 a plus.
    You got some paint on it buy the sounds of it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast