Thread: RD-1 Custom Build: "Gold Rush"

RD-1 Custom Build: "Gold Rush"

Hey folks, Hudson here!

Boy am I excited, because I'm building my first kit. I've ordered through the custom shop an Ash body RD guitar. I've always loved the body shape, and as a mediocre rhythm guitarist I don't need tremolo arm or fancy stuff like that.

Starting off, I questioned the color of the stain I would use. I decided a cerused finish would be the best, initially I wanted to make it purple but I decided against it in favor of Varathane Black Cherry. As for the wax in the ceruse finish, I went for a gold metallic finish aptly named "Gold Rush", finishing it off I'll give it a matte finish with Watco Tung Oil.

I've started on a test strip of thin White Ash to get an idea of the finish after testing on a piece of mystery scrap wood.

More to come!

I've started the process by checking my local specialty woods store for White Ash to test the stain on and also found some Wenge that I'm going to use to make a wooden pickguard for the guitar.

I have the coat of stain on the wood, the wax finish is next.

More to come!
    Last edited by HudsonTheHipster; 02-08-2019 at 03:24 AM.

I have recently received my kit and I noticed my neck pocket had a small gap in between the neck and the body (not more than 2mm I would guess) is this normal/okay? If no how might I remedy this issue?

Last edited by HudsonTheHipster; 23-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Sorry, I have no idea about the neck, but I am very interested to see how the finish turns out. I think the test piece looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonTheHipster View Post
    I have recently received my kit and I noticed my neck pocket had a small gap in between the neck and the body (not more than 2mm I would guess) is this normal/okay? If no how might I remedy this issue?

Hi HtH,

that may be one of a couple of things:

- Neck pocket Radii don't mach the corner radii of your neck heel, i think this is the most likely scenario.
    this can be solved by very carefully rounding the rear corners of the neck heel until the neck sits back into the pocket snugly. You need to work very gradually and make sure you aren't rounding too far.

- Neck Pocket routing has left little fillets in the rear bottom corner
    check that there are no such little errors in the packet corners and gently scrape these out or get in there with a sharp fine chisel to remove them.

- Neck heel may be sticking in the pocket sides
    if this is the case you will see binding marks on the heel and the pocket sides. It may just be a little surgical sanding is required on one or the other. (I'd adjust the pocket as this is easier to hide)

If it is not causing you an issue with scale length to bridge, and the neck feels stable in the pocket, you could always leave it.

Hope this helps!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

In this situation, using chalk on the end and sides of the neck before fitting it in the pocket will show the points where thee neck is touching. Sanding those 'high' points in the pocket down, then repeating the process until 95% or more of the pocket has chalk marks on it and the neck is snug, is probably the most certain way of getting a good fit.