Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AGJM-1 - First Build

AGJM-1 - First Build

Hi all,

This post has been a long time coming. I've been lurking around here for awhile, admiring all the great looking builds. We had a few issues with my delivery, but thanks to Adam's persistence I finally got a chance to get stuck in over the weekend. Thank you, Adam

I ended up with 2x kits. One of which the body was damaged, & the other the neck was no good.

With Adams advice I was able to fit the good neck into the good body, & sent the other back. The fit was tight, but with a bit of sanding I got the neck to fit nicely. Before:

& after:

It was looking nice & straight.. I did a mock build & to me the strings looked evenly positioned on the fret board. (forgot to take a pic).

2. Liked by: juddernaut

I am keen to get this as close to an SG Jr as possible, & I was in need of a bit of sanding/shaping therapy so I took to the contours with a file & some P60 sand paper:

In the time it took for the second kit to arrive, I cut & shaped a new pickguard on 3 ply. I'll need to tweak it a bit later, to follow the contours a bit closer. or I might start a new one & cut it closer to the bottom of the P90.

I've bought a new P90, which was slightly too big to fit the pickup cavity. I nervously hit it with a trimmer. It's a bit rougher than I hoped, but the dogear cover hides my handy work.
    Last edited by Dan_B; 01-04-2019 at 06:10 PM.

4. Liked by: juddernaut

I then hit the sanding block for a few hours, & a few hours more, before I coated it with timbermate -

I sanded it back down after it dried.. but it looks as though I need to keep sanding to get rid of some marks:

I might leave that until next weekend, when my finger prints have grown back

6. Liked by: Danny B

Welcome Dan. I'm a newbie but those contours look great!

Definitely worth the hard yakka to get those contours done. It's not a proper SG without some bevels.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Gotta love the AGJM!!!!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Welcome Dan.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks all.

I did a few more hours of sanding over the weekend, another coat of of timbermate that I watered down really thin, & more sanding. After that I gave it a coat of water based Cherry Red stain.

I had hoped that by thinning out the timbermate it would have helped in raising the grain, but I'm not sure if it has helped. The grain has lifted in places on the ends & is a bit rough

I'll have to get out the P240 again. Any tips on how to deal with this?

Also not sure if I'm 100% sold on the shade of red.. I may knock the colour back on the next coat, & darken it up a bit more.

13. Liked by: Danny B

Love that colour there mate. Remember it will darken up under whatever clear coat you plan to apply. Go back with maybe 400 first instead of 240 and see if the grain settles a bit. If you need to apply more colour after knocking off the raised grain, maybe you could increase the red concentrate, so you end up using less water. Therefore less raising of the grain.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast