Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Timber Suppliers Australia

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kuanjb View Post
    Not as yet.... but you know, I have plans. I'm interested in use of sustainable timber use and Australian timbers which you don't see very often in guitars. So Thor's ticks the boxes.

Need to go my woodworking skills and have a better setup at home before attempting any of that though. I did go out to Monaro timber a few months back to a see what they had. I'm planning on doing a wood pickguard on the JM build.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
    I don't have some of the required tools either but have joined the ACT Woodcraft Guild who have a specific instrument makers group that meets once a fortnight and the guild have all the tools you'd need if that interests you. Also quite a lot of knowledge there.

Did Monaro have a reasonable selection?

2. Liked by: corsair, kuanjb

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I don't have some of the required tools either but have joined the ACT Woodcraft Guild who have a specific instrument makers group that meets once a fortnight and the guild have all the tools you'd need if that interests you. Also quite a lot of knowledge there.

Did Monaro have a reasonable selection?
    I was looking at their website less than a week ago and was very tempted to join. I'll have to wait a few months though as I have a clash.

Monaro is pretty small. Had some woods which I thought might be of use. Queensland maple, Blackwood, Mountain Ash.... honestly I'm not that knowledgeable to be able to judge though. They have equipment for cutting to size and making veneers too. Quite friendly and helpful.

Last edited by kuanjb; 04-05-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Mentor
    So I went in to Thor's yesterday. Huge selection of wood. Honestly the biggest problem is that they have so much it's difficult to see all the pieces. I'm heading back this coming week to buy some timber. I'll post a couple photos then.

Mentor
    Here is one of the two pieces of fiddleback ash (eucalyptus) that I picked up from Thor's. Unfortunately once I dressed them to get the faces flat they are now borderline a bit thin to use for a electric blank. The thickest of the two is 1.6" and the other is 1.5".

I've got a 20mm thick bookmatched pair from the same timber:

A bit rough in places, but I'm just going to embrace it. I'm planning on using it as a cap for a Les Paul (ish) carve top, and also the front and back of something entirely different.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by G-Axe; 29-05-2019 at 03:58 PM.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Here is one of the two pieces of fiddleback ash (eucalyptus) that I picked up from Thor's. Unfortunately once I dressed them to get the faces flat they are now borderline a bit thin to use for a electric blank. The thickest of the two is 1.6" and the other is 1.5".

You could almost re-saw both to give you some pretty decent book match drop tops for a PRS or LP style carved top.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Axe View Post

A bit rough in places, but I'm just going to embrace it. I'm planning on using it as a cap for a Les Paul (ish) carve top, and also the front and back of something entirely different.

Or i could have just read the next post !
    FrankenLab

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Axe View Post

Looks like you've ended up with a piece that has more figure than the two pieces I have. Looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    You could almost re-saw both to give you some pretty decent book match drop tops for a PRS or LP style carved top.
    Yep, I'm actually thinking about using it for a drop top on a BC Rich Eagle Neck Through scratch build

Looks like you've ended up with a piece that has more figure than the two pieces I have. Looks nice.

Yep, I'm actually thinking about using it for a drop top on a BC Rich Eagle Neck Through scratch build

Oh please stop giving me bad ideas....between me and Igor we come up with more than enough! I may need to log off for a while!
    FrankenLab

11. Liked by: kuanjb

An article people may be interested in regarding Australian timbers.

https://stand.uow.edu.au/sustainable-guitar-timbers/

13. Liked by: wazkelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast