Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyn #17 - Bret's Red Tele

Lyn #17 - Bret's Red Tele

Hey Guys, sorry for my overly long absence, I haven't been feeling much like doing anything of late and haven't even kept up with the Forums. Shame on me!

This is a kit that I bought over a year ago for a very good friend and I have only now started the build. Shame on me again!

This one is for Bret (my left handed mate) who has always been there for me during the tough times. I have already built him one guitar, but he has always wanted a red Tele with Pearloid scratch plate, but being a “lefty” his choices were always rather limited and there never seemed to be one available in the shops when he was looking and he always ended up walking out with either nothing or something different.

Seeing he's been such a good friend I thought I'd bling it up a bit with the following:

Grover Tuners (Thanks Adam for the great discount you offer on upgrades)
    Gotoh Bridge, Jack plate, String Trees, Control Plate and Knobs
    CTS left handed pots and lever.
    Sprague Vitimin-Q Paper-in-Oil Cap
    Bone Nut
    TonerRider Pickups. (My favourite affordable pups)

Since I started making guitars a few years ago I have fallen in love with wood and have never painted any of my guitars, preferring instead the appeal and beauty of natural wood. So this will be my first attempt at painting. Wish me luck.

Step #1 – is always the dummy build.

It is also (for me at least) one of the most stressful jobs. This is where you make sure that everything fits right, and more importantly, making sure that the neck is square and the bridge is located correctly so that the scale length is right. Do all the measuring and drilling now and then forget about it and enjoy the fun parts of the build.

Once you have located the bridge correctly its time to drill the holes for the string-through bridge. As with all my builds I will not be using any power tools, only my trusty old hand tools.

So with the Bridge located exactly I use it as template to mark the string-through holes on the upper body.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2037_small.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	30325
    The top of the guitar. I start with a fine Brad Point Bit for its accuracy and then drill a hole about half way through the body with a regular bit. The tricky part is to drill the 2 outer holes all the way through the body. Make sure the drill is as vertical as possible. This is where a hand drill is preferable to a power drill as a hand drill does not “get away” from you like a power drill. Ask me how I know??

Name:	IMG_2039_small.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	421.4 KB 
ID:	30326
    A bit shabby, but this will be covered by the Bridge.

Name:	IMG_2040_small.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	30327
    The back of the guitar. This is the important part. With the 2 outer holes already drilled through to the back, all you have to do now is space out the remaining 4 holes and drill them though until they meet up with the holes you previously drilled through the front. They don't have to line up perfectly with the holes from the front but as long as they are spaced out fairly evenly they should look OK.

Obviously the holes in the back are larger as they have to take the string ferrules, so I find a Brace and Bit is a better way
    to drill these holes.

Name:	IMG_2041_small.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	30328
    Definitely not as accurate and pretty as a drill press, but you have to make do with the tools you’ve got. Seeing as this guitar is being painted the minor tear-outs can be fixed with a bit of putty before painting.

That's the tricky bits done.

Name:	IMG_2044_small.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	905.2 KB 
ID:	30329
    The rest is pretty straight forward and before you know it the Dummy Build is complete with everything screwed in place, for now.

Stay tuned
    rob

Good to see you back Robin, a bit of honest toil is an excellent dog tamer and well done your mate for being there.

As per many tuits on YouTube I use the bridge as the template for the string through holes, I the top holes as you have but only put outer holes right through as guide holes and then drop a couple of small pop rivets in which the bridge sits nice and snug on and the do the final through drilling of the other 4 holes

Love your work Rob. Good to see another on the way.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Mate, gotta love a telecaster build,m looking forward to this one.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

@Dave
    Thanks mate. Yeah, about time I kicked that damn mutt out of here. And you're right about good friends, sometimes they have no idea how much they help.

Good tip with the pop rivets, never even thought about positioning the bridge on the back of the guitar. I must like doing things the hard way. lol.

@G-Axe and Andy
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Gee its almost like coming home.

Nice to see you back Robin, your builds are always great viewing though they do make me feel like a lazy yuppie.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome back robin, I do enjoy your diaries. You are the only other member here that I know of that has a nylon string build.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Nice to see you back Robin, your builds are always great viewing though they do make me feel like a lazy yuppie.
    Lol I agree. Great to see everything done with hand tools...while I'm busily working away at removing human error through automation and jigs.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Lol I agree. Great to see everything done with hand tools...while I'm busily working away at removing human error through automation and jigs.
    I know right?! I’m trying to avoid impulse buying a bandsaw. 😳
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome back Robin.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast