Thread: It all works! Almost....

It all works! Almost....

Hi everybody, after months of painstaking sanding, staining and wiring, I have a LP that I like the look of. Two things have gone awry though:

1. The bridge volume Knob turns fine, however the volume doesn’t change. The neck pot works fine. I’ve double checked the wiring and all good. Does anyone have experience with pots that are dodgy?
    2. The nut on the headstock is set way too high. Has anyone filed down the nut or otherwise fixed this problem?

Would love to hear from anyone that can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CF4C682-DA44-4D75-A71B-B47AB510AC46.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	30318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB87D2C6-5842-4C5B-BC9C-986CE277C69F.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	30319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70BBA06F-6570-4692-8F5B-B5B71FFABC45.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	30320  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey. Fairly common for the nut to need a bit of work. Quick fix would be to remove it and file/sand the bottom a bit. Just do it in small increments and have the 2 E strings on in place to check your progress. Otherwise you can replace it with a bone or graphtech one, either of those options may require the same sanding filing to get right though. Also, common on the G scale guitars, it can be advantageous to slightly lower the slot for the G string to help with it tending to be sharp on the fits few frets. Nut files are pretty pricey, but you can whack an old wound string with a hammer and get something that will do the job.

In regards to the volume a pic of the wiring may help, but you may also just have got a dud pot. Replacements go from as little as $3.50 so unless we can spot any wiring errors you might just have to swap it out.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks for the help, I’m almost done filing the nut back, and that’s looking very positive. I was wary of removing it but it came out easily.

As to the wiring, I have added a couple of photos, hopefully this is clear enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0ED304DA-B3BD-48FB-A7FE-BC61EC5812F7.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	30381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FEEDBFB7-AD4C-4D04-BAE4-D924700897D7.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	30382  

That copper tape is looking rather lumpy.
    I'd be putting some insulation tape between the pot and that copper...under those 3 lugs.

cheers, Mark.

if you have a multimeter you can test the pot by measuring the resistance across the lugs - but as it is installed now for it not to change the volume it must be shorted anyway, it would need to be disconnected to test it - easier to replace!.
    I agree re the copper tape, make sure it is pushed all the way down. Also you can lift the soldered tabs vertically with a pair of needle nosed pliers to remove them from the copper tape if you are careful - might be a good idea here.
    Re the nut, we have done loads of these kits at school, and all of the nuts are too high. remember to fret the E strings at the second fret, there should be a thickness of a sheet of paper between the first fret and the bottom of the string.
    A bone nut is cheap and is a big upgrade.