Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I love finding weird chords...

I love finding weird chords...

... covering Lulus' "To sir, with love" and there's a big, chiming chord - probably a stratocaster - in the middle of the intro section which I think I've worked out as an F6sus4; it sounds right on guitar and even on the keyboard so it's gotta be close...

For those who like to play with this sort of thing, it is XX3031, or F, G, D, F.... and is hit quite firmly over the four strings with an angled pick for best effect...

Anyone care to play this game with me? :-)
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

My ears aren’t great, but I love chords. Can I play?
    Why are you calling it F6sus4? Looking at the notes F6/9 comes to my mind. Even a G7 (obviously without the 3rd) depending on the situation. I just had a quick listen and there aren’t too many clues surrounding the chord in question.

Oops; sorry Mark - a bit slow in responding!

Typo, mate - I should have called it F6sus2, which is still clumsy, I know, but on the keyboard it's the root, the second and the 6th, so I did wonder about the F6/9 but seeing as it's the second and not the octave of the second, that's what I called it. My chord theory is a little shonky and I'm absolutely willing to be corrected!!

You're right about the not many clues, though, and it's out there on its' own, to boot, and the melody is tending towards D...
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

With another 4,398 members out there you would think someone would know and put us out of our misery. I thought I would cheat just had a look at the sheet music in images. Most of the song were in C or A. In some of the A versions it starts with A followed by a Asus or Asus(add9), But there are many and various versions (including E7). Perhaps the guitarist just liked to make their own chords up? I read a sus chord leaves out the 3rd to be replaced by the 2nd or 4th (9th or 11th). With all the various versions substituting their own chord into the introduction I suspect you are not the first person to have issues with this chord. I bet it’s one of those ‘ask two people and get three answers’ kind of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
    Love it! Especially that second chord.

I found this site really handy for identifying oddball chords. It agrees with F6sus2, but also gives G7(no3), G5/F, Dm(add11) and Dm(add11)/F as alternatives.

One of my favourites at the moment is Radiohead's Exit Music for a Film, which has:

Dadd9/F# (2x0230)
    Dadd9/F (1x0230)
    Gmadd11 (3x0313)
    D7/F# (2x0212)

All of which sound great. The Gmadd11 is a handful.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

8. Liked by: corsair

I suppose that what you call it depends on where you start; i.e. the root note, and the addition of the F octave just add another layer of complexity, eh!!!

Ooooh, yeah.... that Gmadd11 is indeed a monster in that position; I wonder if there's another inversion that is easier to play??

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    ... covering Lulus' "To sir, with love" and there's a big, chiming chord - probably a stratocaster - in the middle of the intro section which I think I've worked out as an F6sus4; it sounds right on guitar and even on the keyboard so it's gotta be close...

For those who like to play with this sort of thing, it is XX3031, or F, G, D, F.... and is hit quite firmly over the four strings with an angled pick for best effect...

Anyone care to play this game with me? :-)
    Do we know what the bass is doing at this point? It might be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Try this D something:
    X54630
    you have to use an open c handshape with your pinky on the g string

sounds cool to appregiate it
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4