Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: PRS style PJ-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    I like the pick guard too.
    It adds movement to the lines.
    It looks a bit like a Phantom of the Opera mask. 🤔
    Oh wow what an idea. I would so love to have the skill to make that happen on a build. Cliff what a great idea.

Hmmmmm....future idea.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Trying out some colours on the back. There's a few patches which are not taking any stain or ink so not sure what's going on there. Around the edge of the veneer it also took stain differently.

Still needs some work but I am getting colours similar to the PRS violet blue burst. Going to sand it back a bit to lighten up some areas and still need to work out how to cover the areas not taking stain currently.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

But more playing with colours. Sanded, more stain added / reworked .

Still some issues with covering some patches. Not sure why as there's no joins for there to be glue or the like. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the timbermate filler and the sanding sealer I used. The sanding sealer specifically says for use prior to staining so it should have been alright.....

Anyway I'm still not sure about it. Not quite right.... and a bit blotchy. Centre looks nice, but not 100% happy with the edges.

Another attempt.

Sanded it all back and mixed up a different blue. Stained the whole thing purplish blue first. Wiped over the centre to lighten it. Then added a bit of magentaish purple to the centre. And finally a bit more blue around the edge.

I'm liking this one much more. But it turns out the wood on the edges is much more yellow coloured so the blue isn't quite a nice as in the centre. Hope it looks OK when it dries, and with a clear coat on it.

I like the wet colour of the photo I posted. Unfortunately when it has completely dried it came out quite a lot lighter. And the magenta completely disappeared. The colour didn't look bad..... but what I then noticed was a whole heap of scratches which I hadn't noticed previously.

I'd used a cheap detail sander to help sand off the previous stain and in the process it left some marks. I'd also sanded with some higher grade sand paper by hand but obviously not enough and the scratches weren't evident until the stain settled in them.

So off it all came again, by hand this time. It wasn't too bad as it left the grain slightly stained blue which I thought would be good anyway. I mostly left the edges.

Next, I did a light blue wash over the whole back, which I lightened in the centre further, leaving it darker around the edges. Next I did a diluted mahogany spirit based stain which I had slightly tinted blue to make it a bit more purple. This was done over the whole back including the edges. I then sanded the centre to lighten it up.

And finally finished with further blue around the edges and a touch of magenta in the centre.

I'm doing a water based PU clear on this one so it shouldn't darken. I think it looks pretty close to the violet blue burst on the S2 I posted previously.

Now for the front and sides.
    Last edited by kuanjb; 30-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.

So I came across this bass when I was looking at various guitar things on the net. Looks very similar to the shape of this bass, though the carve of the bevels is slightly different. Interesting....

https://www.schecterguitars.com/bass...4-black-detail

I got new dyes..... so of course I redid the stain again.
    Last edited by kuanjb; 08-10-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Is it my imagination or is Tapatalk making all images look really bad now? Changed over to using Imgur and it's way better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6