Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS style PJ-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The McLaren should be orange but that is simply stunning
    Yeah I must admit that I quite like the Volcano Orange colour McLaren have.

But will it look good on a guitar?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Problem with some of the candy / pearl colours is that they can be two or three different coloured coats layered. The two black colours are just single can colours which makes it much easier (and cheaper).

The Bass you have is based off a Yamaha where headstock shape gives up the game. Their passive PJ arrangement is quite good but the bridge J on it's own doesn't sound as good as the P by itself whilst combined they sound quite good....think Duff from GnR as that is how his signature Fender is setup.

For colours, I really like that ultra violet purple shade.

Cheers, Waz
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    The Bass you have is based off a Yamaha where headstock shape gives up the game. Their passive PJ arrangement is quite good but the bridge J on it's own doesn't sound as good as the P by itself whilst combined they sound quite good....think Duff from GnR as that is how his signature Fender is setup.

Cheers, Waz
    Hmmmm. Not sure. Can't really find anything from any manufacturers which really match.
    The carve is kind of similar to some Ibanez or ESP. Can't really find any Yamaha that match, though they do have the PJ bass setup (but then so do a lot of others including Fender). The headstock too I can't find anything similar. Pretty much everything seems to be angled in the opposite direction.

Regardless. I'm going to try and modify it so the shape is a bit more offset. And the pickups are a P-Bass neck (middle?) and double jazz humbucker bridge. The bridge should have enough output by itself but I guess I'll see how it sounds when I'm finished. Something like a Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass?

One question I do have with the bridge pickup is what to do with the location. Should I route out towards the bridge or towards the neck? Or a bit of both to keep the middle about the same as the single J PU currently is?

I'm thinking better to route out towards the neck. And I guess if I want the single J sound then use the PU closer to the bridge when split.

Last edited by kuanjb; 03-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    I like purple. I'm disappointed that my other build turned out so dark.

This is another colour I'm considering, Pirate Black Pearl:

Last edited by kuanjb; 03-05-2019 at 11:29 PM.

New pickups arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanjb View Post
    So I've ordered some new pickups for the build. Went with Warman Guitars:

P-Bass black stealth - https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/prod...-4-79-henries/

Jazzbar Bass Humbucker - https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/prod...ire-overwound/

The latter will require routing the J-Bass bridge pickup cavity out a bit more and I'll add a three way mini toggle switch to allow switching the humbucker between single coil, parallel and series.

Interesting choice. I have never tried Warmans, but they look pretty good. Bridge pup looks like it should have just under double the output of the bridge in series. The p-bass pickup looks like it should be right around the "sweetspot." (Right around 11.5 inches to the 12th fret from the middle of the neck-side coil). The website says that particular p-bass pickup will be on the bright side.

The bridge pickup in series should keep up well, since it is a considerably hotter pickup. It'll have about half the output in single coil mode.

I have a G&L that has big humbucking pups with ceramic magnets and similar output. I have it set up so that I can select either coil. Honestly, though, the difference is so subtle that I am not sure I could tell the difference blindfolded. In theory, the coil closer to the bridge should be a little brighter, the coil closer to the neck a little more middy. Rule of thumb would be to select the bridge side coil if you want it to be more scooped.

Same goes with placement. Closer to the p-bass pup will be more middy, closer to the bridge brighter.

8. Liked by: kuanjb

Mentor
    I do like the purple on that McLaren.

Not sure if you've considered this already but if you like purple there is always the purple that Holden did (it was called Morpheus and SCA would be able to make it up for you no problems).

They also did this colour called Alchemy

Last edited by Woltz; 10-05-2019 at 05:48 AM.

10. Liked by: kuanjb

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Interesting choice. I have never tried Warmans, but they look pretty good.
    I also have never tried them but seen some good reviews online. Whether it applies to all of their range I have no idea as I haven't seen any reviews for their bass pickups. I think they are another made in Asia to custom specs brand.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I have a G&L that has big humbucking pups with ceramic magnets and similar output. I have it set up so that I can select either coil. Honestly, though, the difference is so subtle that I am not sure I could tell the difference blindfolded. In theory, the coil closer to the bridge should be a little brighter, the coil closer to the neck a little more middy. Rule of thumb would be to select the bridge side coil if you want it to be more scooped.

Same goes with placement. Closer to the p-bass pup will be more middy, closer to the bridge brighter.
    Yeah I watched a video online which had a setup like that and I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between the two single coils. I saw other mods which used a blend pot which could be interesting but I might just split to one of them and leave it at that. I'm actually thinking that a volume pot for one of the coils might be good, to variably dial in / cut the second.

Would require an additional pot though and maybe a mini switch if I still want to be able to switch between single and double, and possibly parallel and series. Having lots of controls on basses seems to be kind of the norm though. Maybe I should go all out and have separate tone pots for the pickups or separate bass and treble pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I do like the purple on that McLaren.

Not sure if you've considered this already but if you like purple there is always the purple that Holden did (it was called Morpheus and SCA would be able to make it up for you no problems).

They also did this colour called Alchemy

Thanks Woltz. Quite nice but not exactly what I'm looking for. I tend to prefer bluer tints of purple. Royal purple or violet. The McLaren colour is very nice.

Anyway, for this guitar I think I'll actually go the copper black. I have another couple of builds which I think purple will look good with, with a translucent stain to show off the grain and figuring.

Thanks for the input anyway. Always good to get feedback.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast