Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hi Guys, thanks for all the supportive words, I'd have binned it by now if it wasn't for this forum. I think I was just a bit exhausted yesterday and not thinking very clearly. It is what it is and it isn't quite right, but I've learnt an enormous amount and it looks like it will play well so I really should be focusing on the more successful aspects

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Once it's in playing orientation, it looks O.K. to me.
    Attachment 33780
    cheers, Mark.
    Yeah I agree, for some reason it does look more correct like that. I held it in front a mirror yesterday and it does work. I have to remember the when I first started drawing this I was going for a brutalist approach focusing on a nice big neck with good fret access and that's exactly what I've got. The neck is very chunky, but I have big hands and fingers so that was intended - especially the extra width to stop me bending the strings off the fret board. So it is mission accomplished in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Have to say that i really like the shape and proportions. It's original without being ridiculous and pays a homage to a couple of classics without being a knock off. I also think the headstock shape perfectly suits the body - something you don't always get even from the major manufacturers.
    If you really don't like it I'll let you pop it in the post to me, as a favour...
    Thanks Drew I really appreciate it. It's definitely in the ball park of what I'm going for, I'm just highly self critical. Especially with design and art, always suffer from not feeling good enough at it which is a silly way to feel... especially considering that's how I earn my living. Imposter syndrome is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's possibly a little bland looking at the moment, but you haven't got all the hardware on.
    I'd also think about moving the bridge pickup back slightly so it's nearer the bridge (or moving the bridge further forwards). The pickup is currently at least an extra coil position away from the saddle than it would be on a say a Les Paul or a Firebird.
    Some neck dot markers would also make it a bit more interesting for me.
    But I'm still liking the overall shape. Add the rest of the hardware and then see what it looks like.
    Yeah I agree, It'll improve with more of the shiny stuff on. The bridge/pick up locations are one of the things I've already changed and the bridge pickup is hard up against that route at the moment, so I'm just going to live with it. I really feel like the adjustments I made, while improving a lot of functionality aspects, are what has lead to it not looking quite right visually. Also agree on the fret markers, I'll make sure I do that on the next one as I have a set here unused.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Just need to have a few more of those yummy kiwi beers and then come back to it.
    There are basically 3 main important elements with all guitars....How does it play? How does it sound? How does it look? and I have deliberately listed them in that order as our impressions are sometimes clouded by appearance rather than functionality.
    If it looked great and played like a pig that would have been a wasted effort.
    To me it looks OK and has bit of Firebird look about it.
    Yeah I really just needed to step away. And the Wakachagni is awesome beer. I'm sure the packaging influences my assessment of its flavour, it's great. It does feel like it's going to play well and as you say, that's kinda the main point. I'm dying to see how my Wish pickups sound, but I'm just going to take it slowly from here. Hopefully at some point this week I'll get to that, but I'm not going to pressure myself.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: wazkelly

Yes, certainly keep at it and there's no reason to despair. Even adding little things like strap buttons can help bring a guitar to life.

Ok so moving along. I mentioned the string through earlier...I've made a mess of it. So originally I thought I had bought the ones the let the ball end recess into them, but once I got them out again I realised that the ball end would protrude out the back of the guitar. Which I didn't want. I wish I had taken a picture at this point as they were all nicely lined up after a light dremel clean up of the orginal holes I drilled.

So I popped them out and tried to recess them. Messy and not deep enough, also of course the drill bit is doing some wandering around. (I know I know, sharp forstner bit, impatience is a real problem of mine)

Yuck. Then I had a brain wave, I had some tuner post inserts lying around. I'll just enlarge the holes slightly and use them to dress the edges up. More movement of the holes, then the lip on the post inserts was too big so I had to grind them down.

So this is what it looks like now. Which is terrible. Or at least not good enough for me.

I'm going to leave it and press on, but I am definitely going to route it out and put a block retainer or some kind of insert in there to fix it up.

Located the pick guard, I don't have a suitable countersink for the screws so I need to do that yet. All the electronics are basically in. I need to clearance for the jack nut to screw on, but it all fits and looks like enough room to wire up.

I made up a control plate cover as well, the wood one I had kept warping so I threw it in the #$%-it Bucket.

Despite being very careful I've pushed up a bit of the finish around the bridge. Again, pushing ahead, I can pull it all apart and give it a recoat easy enough if I get really keen.

And where I'm leaving it before I mess something else up.

Despite the small annoyances, that's looking a lot better.

I just use a bigger drill to do any countersinking (say a 6mm one) in plastic, and rotate it by hand. I find that a standard countersink bit is a bit 'jumpy' in plastic and a standard large bit gives a better result.

Dude, that is looking smart AF. The more you put the finishing touches on, the less you will notice the little boo boos. And you always said that this is the first one for learning and proof of concept. And I can only imagine how much you've learnt and will bring to iteration mkii.

Hmm, well that's worth a try.

It's getting there, I might try and make up a little cover for the string throughs from some left over pickguard material. Won't be elegant, but I'll be happier if its at least tidy.

Just remember that it's a prototype. It's meant to be a bit rough and be a try-out for your ideas.

9. Liked by: wazkelly

I love it how you are honest and not shy to show your dissatisfaction. You have something in your mind and it does not always turn out the way you want,, sometimes better, sometimes,.. Well you know and sometimes things grow on you. And that is something this guitar did for me. I have enjoyed the last couple of months reading into your adventure, so much so that I started reading it from the start. But the first time I saw the designs, I was like, yeah good looking, but not me. And it has turned into, awesome, can't wait to see what's next!

Those last pictures with the hardware on really make it look soo much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Dude, that is looking smart AF. The more you put the finishing touches on, the less you will notice the little boo boos. And you always said that this is the first one for learning and proof of concept. And I can only imagine how much you've learnt and will bring to iteration mkii.
    Hey sorry, missed this. Thanks man, I really appreciate any and all feedback and the positive stuff has helped me push through a number of setbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just remember that it's a prototype. It's meant to be a bit rough and be a try-out for your ideas.
    Yeah.. I put to much pressure on myself. High standards are a good thing but they can also hold you back.

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast