Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I like that.
    Cheers Simon, high praise from someone who does seem to prefer more traditional designs
    a
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    #shed envy#headstock envy.
    Heh, thanks Mark, you will note I share my shed space with the Laundry.. it's also my office, studio, D&D room, band practice space etc etc.

Expensive computers do not play well with the amount of dust generated in guitar building so there is a stack of compromise going on.

It is great to at least have a space I can use though.

No progress this weekend due in part to being busy with other stuff, but also 40+ temps here. Well outside the safe temps for spraying so just being patient. Don't really want to have to sand back again.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Well, semi-traditional design. I do now have a Firebird and an almost-finished Explorer kit, which although old designs, do move away from the conventional.

Your design combines some elements of both of those as well as new ones, and without being overtly angular like some of the recent Music Man models. I'm liking it.

Cheers man, it was always my intent to make something classic but still different, there are bits from lots of different guitars combined.

So while waiting to apply another clear coat I'm turning my attention to electrics....

*Paging Dr Weirdbits, Dr Weirdbits to the OR*

I'm really making this bit up as I go. I have room for 2 pots and a 3 way switch. I have on hand a push pull A500K vol pot and a normal B500K tone pot, 22uf Orange Drop cap and a suitable jack on the way.

Looking at my 'Wish' pickups, it looks like adding in a split should be straight forward enough. So I'm thinking master vol and tone with the bridge setup to split. I've had a couple of goes at 'virtually' wiring this and I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way...

Open to alternative suggestions as well - this is the core diagram I have if anyone would like to have a go....

And what I'm looking at out of the pickups

Mentor
    What would you like to be able to do with the wiring?

There are loads of options. You could coil split both humbuckers off the push pull but the catch to that is you would be locking into a specific combination in the middle switch position unless you added another component.

You'd either have the ability to do 1 or 2.
    1. both split and both humbucker.
    2. Humbucker bridge single neck and single bridge humbucker neck.

Other options are things like kill switches, phase reversal, series parallel etc.

I'm no expert but I have learnt a bit researching mods for my Rick scratch build and happy to help where I can.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know what I want to do specifically and I'm in the same boat, no expert, but I've had success in the past with some different wiring setups. For my own playing I usually put it on the bridge with everything at 10, so it's all a bit superfluous unless I'm feeling whimsical.

The last few I've just done tele style wiring. So I'm thinking the same as that but with a splitting option for the bridge using the push pull.

I'm a bit lost with the amount of wires coming out of the pickups... and best order .. do I setup the switching on the vol pot for the bridge, then route back to the selector switch? .. I can work out one hum bucker.. but not how to incorporate them both into the circuit.

If someone could doodle on the pic above how to accomplish that I'd be eternally grateful.

Mentor
    Looking at your humbucker photo I would guess:

Black = Hot
    Red & White = End of Both Coils/Coil Tap
    Green and Bare = Ground

Here is a diagram from Seymour Duncan that you could use. This diagram has coil split on both humbuckers but if you only want to split the bridge then just don't solder the red and white from the neck to the push pull. Just put a bit of tape around the bare parts of the red and white wires from the neck pickup so they don't ground out on anything.

Push pull down = humbucker
    Push pull up = single coil

I did coil splits with 2 x toggles + 3 way for pickup selection and stacked pots for 2 x volume & 2 x tone on my mates Epi Explorer, in absolutely no hurry to do that mix again.

Does sound good though

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Looking at your humbucker photo I would guess:

Black = Hot
    Red & White = End of Both Coils/Coil Tap
    Green and Bare = Ground

Here is a diagram from Seymour Duncan that you could use. This diagram has coil split on both humbuckers but if you only want to split the bridge then just don't solder the red and white from the neck to the push pull. Just put a bit of tape around the bare parts of the red and white wires from the neck pickup so they don't ground out on anything.

Push pull down = humbucker
    Push pull up = single coil

Ah right.. I think that makes sense to me, the black wire being hot makes it a bit more obvious. Also seems likely they would copy SD.... So the idea of splitting both buckers at once would be cool I think, so I've basically replicated the above diagram.

How does this look to people with better brains for this stuff? Let me know if you spot anything dumb.

And further to the above - would there be any problem with making an 'earth block' as a common earth point?

Mostly to avoid soldering 6 wires to the back of the volume pot. I was thinking a bit of brass in the cavity earthed to the bridge and jack that all the other earths can route to.

Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast