Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    I love it how you are honest and not shy to show your dissatisfaction. You have something in your mind and it does not always turn out the way you want,, sometimes better, sometimes,.. Well you know and sometimes things grow on you. And that is something this guitar did for me. I have enjoyed the last couple of months reading into your adventure, so much so that I started reading it from the start. But the first time I saw the designs, I was like, yeah good looking, but not me. And it has turned into, awesome, can't wait to see what's next!

Those last pictures with the hardware on really make it look soo much better.
    Thanks man The whole point of this forum is sharing knowledge, I'd never be doing this without the help I received during my first kit builds. I asked all the same "dumb" questions that everyone does in those threads and always got a helpful answer. If I'm not open about the failures as well as the successes you only see half the story and only learn half as much to apply to your own builds.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to make a suitable cover from left over pick guard material I decided to 3D print one. Really need to get some black filament for this stuff, but it'll clean up and take paint fine. This is one thing Rustoleum is really good for, it bonds to the plastic and will not come off. So I'll black it out and move right on along.

Must be great to have your skills and workshop! Is there a lot of different materials you can 3d print with? I mean the filler (or how do you call it?)

Yeah there are a bunch of different materials. This is PLA which is quite rigid and brittle once printed, but the spools last for ages. There is also PLU, ABS, PETG which are all good for different things. It's just a cheapy printer from office works I got for prototyping game pieces. I have a mate with a farm running ABS filament for more finished pieces.

Mine is not particularly good as far as printers go, but it's great for knocking up stuff like this.

Also, my workshop is the culmination of 30 years of collecting stuff and insisting on having a making space in the house. There are loads of compromises going on, but I just can't function without having somewhere I can make stuff.

And fitted. Not as nice as having the ferrules done properly, but tidy enough for this one.

If I get keen this evening after it's cooled down I'll get to wiring.

So... Two big questions. Who's seen it finished to this point who doesn't live in your house? Have you forced family members and friends to sit down with it and play it? I get that it's not finished, but that might help with your perspective. Because, as everyone else has said, it looks pretty right to me...

You've said that the bridge placement moving means that it looks short beyond there - I disagree. Maybe that changes in person, compared to in a photo. But that's why I'm asking how many other people have seen it, and how many times you've seen it in someone else's hands. I think it looks great.

Yeah there is a fair bit of traffic through the shed, but everyone is always positive about it. That said, none of them are artists/designers, so don't necessarily have that 'critical eye' to see when something looks right.

Just my crippling self doubt creeping in I think. The real test will be when it's properly playable, then I'll get some other people to properly check it out and I'll be able to see how it looks as a player rather than a shed ornament.

8. Liked by: Tadhg

As a point of interest here is the original templates (inblue) overlaid with what is currently V4, which is what the next build will be based on.

IT LIVES!!!!!

Did the wiring this afternoon and chucked the cheap strings on it. Everything works first go, nice to have a win occasionally!

Very rough demo here - it's not setup, the intonation isn't right. The action is unbelievably low. The neck feels big, that was the idea, but it'll take some getting used to.

I am blown away by the sound out of the pickups, especially for what I paid. They are unreal. Clear difference when split and from neck to bridge. Also the best working tone knob I think I've ever installed.

This is also the first test of a usb room mic I've acquired, just using my tiny vox pathfinder here, my big amp is at our practice space.

I will do a better one once it's setup and pay some attention to mic positioning.. but right now I am a happy little vegemite.

What an epic.

And some pics on the slab.. photoshoot to come later.

Looks like I’ll be the first to congratulate you. No false praise when I say I’m super impressed! It looks better in action than I expected, I like the shape, I like the mahogany colour, and as you say it has a range of tone. It’s a solid body I would be happy to own. And you made it!

Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast