Thread: The Deluxester Prototype - Sonic's foray into repeatable scratch builds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Cheers Brendan. Doing your own is definitly possible, just take how long you think it will take and double it.

Probably easier to start with a copy of an established design, there has been a lot of problems solving and stuffing around on this one. I did expect that though, hopefully the next one will go a little more smoothly.

Anyway. I'm having one of those days where everything I touch I bugger up, so definitly no drilling holes today.

Instead I spent some time working out bridge placement and sorting out a revised pickguard design. I'm a bit silly for going all out on the metal templates straight up. I've changed things during the build that have made a lot of them redundant. Just another lesson to learn I suppose. Next bunch will be in MDF. And I'll make copies using the router table so if I stuff one up it's not a problem.

Anyway, only took about 5 goes to get it accuratley drawn up in illustrator and a physical printout that fits. Almost wish I'd got some white perloid pickguard material.. but I'll stick with the black 3 ply. With the chrome pickup surrounds it shoudl look pretty cool I think.

Gotta say... looking closer to how I pictured it in the mockup at the start of this diary.

I'm pretty glad about that as I've had my doubts, but with the pickguard mocked up on it, I think it's going to work.

Need to do some more cavity routing as well. Also, with the neck on, it doesn't really feel very heavy. Which was a concern early on, I guess we'll see after hardware goes on.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 10-10-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: Cliff Rogers